PC buying advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
I am planning to buy my Mum a new PC for Xmas. One of the things we want to do is use it to have video chats over Skype (or similar), but apart from that she will just use it for basic web browsing, viewing photos, etc.

I am looking at basic Dell systems which all have 2gb memory but offer the option of Celeron and Pentium processor.

Would a Celeron be good enough (2.2GHz, 800 FSB) or should I fork out the extra for a Pentium?

snakehips

I run an old Dell GX100 , donkey's years old , about 700 MHz , max 512 MB memory.
I have multiple instances of IE and Firefox open all the time. I also use Skype. I suspect my Skype access would improve if I had better PC but I think any current model , or even last years , would do for the use that you describe.

CCardRedIn.jpg

gratts

For basic things like Skype, email, web, word processing etc a celeron will do the job just fine. Sure it will be marginally slower, but I doubt she's a right little speed demon? :biggrin:
Spend the money you save on a decent webcam/(micro)phone for the skype chatting, that'll be a much better improvement than a pentium upgrade.

Llama

Veteran
Celeron will be ok might be better to spend the extra and upgrade the chip - if this isnt an option due to budget then double the ram to 4gb - this will help to keep it quick - its fairly cheap with dell and would cost double to pay somebody to do it later.
Also I would recomend getting an external webcam if you want to do skype video as the built in ones are not up to much.

if your looking at this Inspiron 1525 then its £40 for the chip upgrade, bigger hdd and they add an extra gb to the ram.
I ordered a 1525 for a friend recently and its an excellent machine - no problems

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/p...s.aspx/inspnnb_1525?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Desktop or Laptop ?

For your mum, she will not notice the difference between the celeron and pentium - spend more on memory - its cheap.

We've had a basic Dell Inspiron 1520 for a year - freebe on AOL and it's been great.

peanut

celeron will be fine. To surf the net,write a few emails ,skype etc and other general stuff you only need 512Mb memory and 20Gb hard drive will be masses. She'll never even half fill that.
1Ghz processor is more than adequate .
There is so much rubbish bandyied about about computers . Unless you are using the high end latest PC games or editing hours of video you don't need top end PCs

Better to spend the money on a decent 19" or 20" LCD and the software you are going to need to buy extra.

Carwash

Señor Member
peanut said:
Better to spend the money on a decent 19" or 20" LCD and the software you are going to need to buy extra.

I second the monitor recommendation. But what makes you think he'll need to buy any extra software?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I'd go for an AMD based system. Pretty sure Dell desktops can be AMD but couldn't swear to it. Anyway, much more bang for your buck and Inter are pretty crud in my experience.

peanut

Carwash said:
I second the monitor recommendation. But what makes you think he'll need to buy any extra software?

well you rarely get licensed software with a mass produced PC like Dell . You might get a lite cut down version of office for example but any specific programs like photo or video editing or audio ripping editing etc and graphical software like Corel, Paint shop pro etc will all be extra as will a licenced Windows installation disk

peanut

Sittingduck said:
I'd go for an AMD based system. Pretty sure Dell desktops can be AMD but couldn't swear to it. Anyway, much more bang for your buck and Inter are pretty crud in my experience.

yes for me and you that would be my choice too but the OP wants this for his dear old Mum to surf the net and look at digital photos . You can do that adequately with any symbian mobile fone with Win mobile 6 these days like the 02 Mini s

Carwash

Señor Member
peanut said:
well you rarely get licensed software with a mass produced PC like Dell . You might get a lite cut down version of office for example but any specific programs like photo or video editing or audio ripping editing etc and graphical software like Corel, Paint shop pro etc will all be extra as will a licenced Windows installation disk

OP says it will be used for Skype and web browsing, so I daresay she'll be okay without all of that - to begin with at least. :tongue:

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
Carwash said:
OP says it will be used for Skype and web browsing, so I daresay she'll be okay without all of that - to begin with at least. :tongue:
Indeed. My mum's in her eighties and as far as I know has no plans to start editing videos or ripping audio. And she already has a copy of Office that she can transfer to her new PC.

Top Bottom