PC Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Bought a 2nd hand Sony Vaio Desktop PC for the kids and it was working ok for the last few months. Yesterday however it crashed whilst watching something on youtube and now it won't restart. I have been able to go into start mode, I have tried System Restore as well as recovery options but it wont go beyond the boot screen. When it would normally go onto the Windows log in screen it just stays blank for a few minutes then turns itself off and restarts again. I have tried to restore it back to factory settings but it still does the same thing.

Also not sure if it is related but the colours on the boot screen seem a bit off.

Norm

Such things are either fatal windows errors or, possibly, RAM not seated correctly. Have you a Windows CD which you could boot to?

nosherduke996

Had a simalar problem about 6 months ago.It turned out to be one of the updates which are installed on a regular basis, conflicted with my anti viras software which is Norton 360.
All i done was unistall norton then reinstalled it and hey presto !

Bman

Guru
It *could* be this... but I would imagine that a System Restore would have solved that.

What Version of Windows are you running?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Norm said:
Such things are either fatal windows errors or, possibly, RAM not seated correctly. Have you a Windows CD which you could boot to?

Have you checked the BIOS for any error readings on the various components?

Alternatively if you have access to another computer you could test the RAM using memtest 86 which is available as a free download and then written to a CD - you change the bios to boot from the CD and the program runs prior to any windows boot. It takes about 30 mins but you will get a full report.

Top Bottom