PC router advice if I may??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I have virgin media cable broadband. I'd rather ask cyclists than virgin media 'experts':rolleyes:

My place is Big...

I currently have the cable socket coming into the smallest bedroom. I want to have another cable socket in the lounge at the far end of the building and keep the exisiting cable socket. I dont like wi fi..prefer to have a cable connected to my router box.

I'll be moving my pc into the lounge from here (the smaller room).

Now...it's important that i can still run a pc from the small room AND more important that i can use a wi fi laptop in the other bedroom as well from either cable socket...whils tstill using my main pc in th elounge connected with a cable to the new socket there. The distance between the lounge and the bedroom is a fair way..so i'm worried wi fi wont be in range?? I should add that I dont want the pc's to be in anyway connected...or in anyway accessable from one of the other computers.

I dont understand routers etc.

Will I need two routers?

If I have two routers which one is the master router controlling the wi fi (key)?

What if the pc in th esmall room is not connected to the router...will the bedroom next door still be able to get wifi from it?

Will each route rhave a seperate key?

I heard about wi fi boosters...do they work well??

Is there life on mars?

You don't need another router, but you may need an AP (Access Point) to pass the signal across to the other side of the building if the signal can't carry that far reliably. An AP would effectively act as a signal amplifier in your scenario.

subaqua

What’s the point
or you could use ethernet over power line . no new wires to pull in and its very good according to the people in work who have it. you can get wi fi end points too

Number14

Guru
Get this months copy of Custom PC. They have a good article about network plugs, simply stick them in a mains socket near the point of use and link by cable to computer. Faster than wifi and no need to run cables all round the house.

cd365

Guru
I would first move it and see what signal drop out you get, if you're not happy with the quality I would get homeplugs (ethernet over power lines), I use a mixture of both and am very impressed with the homeplug option.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Be advised there are different speed options, and therefore prices will also differ, but plus one for 'netplugs' if you don't want wires around.
Security wise, they appear to be perfectly safe, that is your neighbours can't hack in, something about the electric meter blocks signals from going any further.

Top Bottom