Peak District Bank Holiday advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lantern rouge

Me and fellow “Cyclechatter” Big Evo are spending the Bank holiday weekend in the Peak District and have permission from our “other halves” to bring our bikes along as long as we don’t swan off all day every day!

We therefore plan to squeeze in a couple of earlyish morning rides before doing the usual touristy things with the family.

We’ve identified the climbs at Winnats Pass, Curbar Edge and Froggat edge as challenges we’d like to “attack”

Does anyone have any local knowledge of these climbs. Cycle(ist) friendly cafes and general riding in the area?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

LR

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Winnats pass is chuffing hard. But worth it.

Theres a top cafe at Grindleford station. Theres another good caff in endcliffe park in sheffield which i'm sure you could weave into a decent ride.

SimonC

lantern rouge said:
Me and fellow “Cyclechatter” Big Evo are spending the Bank holiday weekend in the Peak District and have permission from our “other halves” to bring our bikes along as long as we don’t swan off all day every day!

We therefore plan to squeeze in a couple of earlyish morning rides before doing the usual touristy things with the family.

We’ve identified the climbs at Winnats Pass, Curbar Edge and Froggat edge as challenges we’d like to “attack”

Does anyone have any local knowledge of these climbs. Cycle(ist) friendly cafes and general riding in the area?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

LR

Would bin Winnats, its s****. Go from Edale side up Mam Nick instead, brings you out near top of Winnats and is infinitely nicer.

Curbar Gap also nice and quiet, and there should be an ice-cream van at the top carpark over the weekend:smile:

Froggatt is my favourite route home to Sheff from training rides.

Sir William Hill out of grindleford up to radio mast is hard and quiet.

Have a look for Coggers Lane/Jaggers Lane from Hathersage up on to Bamford Moor, nice lanes up there. Also up to Abney from Hathersage and onto Tideswell is a nice climb on quiet lanes.

Caffs - Woodbine in Hope is cycle friendly, Cintras in Hathersage is family friendly, so is caff at top of Monsal (classic hill climb out of Monsal - record is 1m 14.2s by Malc Elliott!). Grindleford Caff used to be good, but will be generally full to bustin with weekend warriors on sunday/monday. A few decent caffs in centre of Eyam - family and bike friendly.

Caff in Endcliffe Park in Sheff is excellent - I live about 1/2 mile from it - but I wouldnt ride from Peak to get to it.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
There's a caff at Longnor and one opposite the pub at Royal Cottage(?).
I'd agree that the Mam Nick route is nicer but Winnats is an iconic, never-again climb.
Where are you staying?

iLB

Hello there
for added hard man points you could go up the broken road over mam tor, now that is tough and technical!

SimonC

iLB said:
for added hard man points you could go up the broken road over mam tor, now that is tough and technical!

Mostly rideable though, on a road bike, only that wet bit at the top where you have to get off. Great way to get up Mam Tor, and not as steep as alternatives.

I would agree that Winnats is a once in a lifetime ride. I have done it once in my lifetime, 20 years ago, and will never ride up it again.:biggrin:

OP
OP
lantern rouge

lantern rouge

rich p said:
There's a caff at Longnor and one opposite the pub at Royal Cottage(?).
I'd agree that the Mam Nick route is nicer but Winnats is an iconic, never-again climb.
Where are you staying?

we're going to be around Calver, so Froggat and Curbar are nailed on certs.

99% sure that our main ride will be Sir William Hill, Eyam, Foolow, Bradwell, Castleton, Hope, Winnats, Edale and back to Calver via poss Hathersidge/Grindleford.

Cos it's not a "cycling" weekend as such, thats about as much as we dare try and squeeze in before we have to do the "Chatsworth and Bakewell thing" with the other halves :tongue:

Thanks everyone for the info/advice

LR

SimonC said:
Would bin Winnats, its s****. Go from Edale side up Mam Nick instead, brings you out near top of Winnats and is infinitely nicer.

+1

Winnats is pretty much a main road on a B/Hol so takes the fun out of it; a ride around Edale form Hope and the climb up MN is more enjoyable and more scenic.

Winnats is better for bombing it down, though on a B/Hol You'll just be going down on the brakes.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Winnats will be busy with traffic on a Bank Holiday, but it's a 'climb to do', absolute 'barsteward' when you are zig zagging up it cos cars keep getting in the way...... The good thing is most cars struggle up too.

fossyant said:
The good thing is most cars struggle up too.

Mine certainly does....then again it's a 1.3 estate and I always keep a ton of tools in the back.

I suppose I'm lucky in that if I wanted to say "sod it" and ride out to Winnats now, I could...I forget that other people might not have the opportunity outside of weekends/holidays

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
For where you're going you might also like the cafe in Eyam. Not a cafe but you could stop off in the grouse after Froggat, it's about 3/4 up the hill.

I find the climb up froggat edge really boring. I prefer Padley Gorge and the 2 climbs out of Hathersage.

OP
OP
lantern rouge

lantern rouge

Thanks to everyone for the advice. We had a great time. We came we saw and we (almost) conquered!....There are no flat roads in this part of the world!

Curbar gap and Froggat edge were bagged without too much trouble (reminded us of our own Carlton Bank and a longer version of Clay Bank)

Winnats pass at 8am with 40mph gusts proved more difficult (should have passed on the previous evenings' 3 course meal & drinks!) resulting in a "photo stop" 2/3 of the way up..then finally beating it.

The climb up the back of Mam Tor and descent into Edale was terrific.

The biggest surprise/shock was Sir William Hill Road....horrible climb when you've just crawled out of bed!

Coffee stop was in Grindleford

Big Evo has a couple of photos for the gallery...when he's finished ripping his kitchen out!

thanks again for the pre trip advice CC'ers...much appreciated

LR

Steve H

Large Member
I was also in the Peak District over the Bank Holiday weekend, although doing easy touristy routes (Tissington Trail etc). Much flatter than the routes you were tackling! However the winds were very strong this weekend, so even the flats felt like hills in places.

Great part of the country

Top Bottom