Pedal Powered Segway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PedSegMan

I'm a final year engineering student and I'm Looking for feedback on weather you would use a pedal powered Segway and what additional features you would like to see on it, below is a detailed description of how it works as well as a pictures of the final design

Hand power pedal Segway, fitted with a Bosch performance line pedal assisted motor pedals at a height of 1.2m from the platform on which the user stands. The user operates this standing up, has textured rubber to provide extra grip when the user is standing on it, the same rubber grips are fitted to the brake pedals.

The 2 wheels are on separate axels, to turn apply the brake on the feet on the desired side of the direction you want to turn this slows the wheel down causing a turning motion. To completely stop the Segway both pedals will have to be pressed at the same to, motion can also be stopped if the user stops pedaling. It has 2 counterbalances fitted at the back of the base to counter act the force being exerted by the user on the Segway keeping it up right.

All Feedback Welcome

Thanks

segwaypi_Camera_SOLIDWORKS Viewport.jpg

Segway_Camera_Default Camera.jpg

segwaypi_Camera_Default Camera.jpg

Segway_Camera_SOLIDWORKS Viewport.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
Coordination required to use in safety may well be beyond most folk.
Are the brakes operated by the users toes?

It wouldn't be legal to use on a UK public highway either.

Where on earth could you use thing legally and safely? Solve that problem first.
Then you can refine your product; first thing I suggest is to make the hand-crank thing's height adjustable - one-size never fits-all so you either provide proper adjustment, make it in different sizes - or resign yourselves to selling only to people with a certain very specific height range.

I'm a final year engineering student and I'm Looking for feedback on weather you would use a pedal powered Segway and what additional features you would like to see on it, below is a detailed description of how it works as well as a pictures of the final design
I don't see any brakes?

Being naturally clumsy I've never tried anything like that, but it strikes me that "pedalling" with my hands while trying to coordinate balance standing up and operating brakes to turn would be far too much for me. I'd foresee a lot of falls.
Have you tried any kind of a model?

I think they are illegal for road use.
Probably in the UK. But there's a big ol' world outside of Blighty ^_^

I'm holding out for the designer that says we can do away with legs altogether and be ferried around binge eating until we die of heart disease or something similar at 25 stone. 😡

I don't get it.

Perhaps you've never done such a thing for school or University but I'd bet you know many young people who have done or are doing similar.
The "products" don't have to be "real". As with a lot of things, the value lies not in the end result, but in the process.

There's been some pretty direct feedback on the thread but it was, at least, feedback.

I'm assuming that the two smaller squares are brake pedals, with drum or disc brakes fitted.

You clearly understand technical drawings better than I!

Just trying to imagine that......
Does the foot (feet) rest on them, risking hitting one or the other on bumps and veering off course or would the driver have to move a foot (while standing) to slow or turn? What about an emergency stop? Maybe I'm just clumsy but this contraption would be the end of me. ^_^

It's an interesting idea, although I can't imagine how the battery wouldn't be supplying most of the power. In which case what's the point?

An interesting alternative would be a home, pedal driven recharging station to charge up a more conventional Segway. And other electrical devices.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Why wouldn't it be legal for UK roads as it is fitted with brakes and doesn't run under its own power. From the description it's really just a very differently designed battery assisted hand cycle - and totally pointless.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'm not sure it would make it any more controllable, but most hand-cycles have the cranks arranged together, at 0° rather than 180°.

Not sure how this works
does the motor work off energy generated directly by the hand cranks
or do you charge a battery before starting and the pedals operate like a pedal-assist (pedalec) ebike - such as the UK legal ebikes

if the first option - why the motor - why not just power direct to the wheels
if the second option then certainly not UK (and EU????) legal at the moment

but still very concerned about the safety of banalcing on a 'sort of hoverboard' while spinning hand cranks some feet above the wheels

It may be possible to get it to work - which may be all that is needed for a 'project' but I can;t see it being "the next big thing"

but anyway - Good Luck with it
interesting to see it if you get it to work!

Top Bottom