Pedal wisdom please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SMD

I'm still using toeclips, and want to go clipless.
How many different systems are there?
And which is best for road riding?
Thanks in advance.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
wrap your eyes around this

Like every type of cycling technology each style and brand of clipless pedal has its zealots and evangelists. I use Shimano SPD on all my bikes bar my folder, largely because my roots are in mtb'ing

I'm still using toeclips, and want to go clipless.
How many different systems are there?
And which is best for road riding?
Thanks in advance.

Search the forum you should find lots of threads on it.

There's basically two types mtb type (like spd) and road type (like spd-sl, look, etc). The latter is more efficient for road bikes (stiffered sole, larger cleat) however it has the disadvantage of only being waddable off the bike whereas the mtb type shoes normally have a recess which accomodates the cleat and you can walk, even hike with them. I tend to use something in between a stiffered soled spd shoe (like spesh bg mtb sports) you couldn't walk far with them but they are more walkable than road shoes and a touring type pedal with a cage (A520s). I have road shoes and pedals too but the BG sports/ A520 are my preffered system.

ACS

Legendary Member
I ride on the roads but don't time trial or race so I use SPD M520 with MTB shoes because road cleats can be a little awkward to walk on and I don't want to make a complete tw@t of myself by landing on my backside during a cafe stop. :biggrin:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
There are many systems, however I would suggesst the following:

Shimano SPDs - basic system available for most types of riding, big benefit is that SPD shoes can generally be walked-in as the cleat is recessed into the sole of the shoe. Good for comuting and touring in particular. Downside is that the contact area with the pedal is fairly small. Good lateral float on the pedal, good for starters.

Shimano SPD SLs are road specific, much larger contact area, have to walk like a duck, slightly less float better contact though for road bikes.

Look Keos, similar to SPD SL, good contact area, float dependant on cleats attached, walk like a duck, good contact area for road bikes.

I'd go Keos myself on a true road bike..

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have SPD's on all 3 bikes. No messing about when moving away from a standstill with the pedals I use (Shimano M520) because they have mountings on both sides of the pedal. I tried LOOK cleats but found it was irritating to flip the pedal over with the foot, every time you move off from stationary, as the cleats are only connected to one side of the pedal, unlike my double sided SPD.

The LOOK type and SPD SL are probably ok if you ride in places with less stop-start but I commute in London and it's par for the course.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
A pair of these should do the trick.My link :whistle:

I'm the same using double sided SPD's on the road bike, but i use Shimanos RT81 touring shoes rather than a purely MTB pair which I reckon are as good as any at the price, I think about 80.00 but maybe less if you shop around, much easier walking to the cafe!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have Look Keos on the road bike and SPDs on the mountain bike. If I had to ride in town I would definitely put SPDs on the road bike because they are so much easier to click in to. Keos are fine for a long ride where you're not clipping in and out or doing much walking around, they are very comfortable especially when out of the saddle climbing.

Rubber Bullets

Can anyone comment on Time pedals? I've been told they are some of the best pedals out there.

I can, though I have no experience of any other type, so can't make any comparisons.

I put a pair of what I think were the original Time Atacs on my MTB roughly 13 years ago, I found them easy to learn to get in and out of (only one really silly fall at a junction) and very comfy, with a good degree of float to protect my slightly dodgy knees.

When I recently made my return to cycling, and switched almost entirely to a road bike I got them to put a more recent version of the Time Aliums on as I still had 2 pairs of shoes with cleats that would work, and still use the old MTB occasionally. I still really like them and they look fine on my Secteur, even if some more traditional riders may be a bit funny about them. I also prefer having shoes I can actually walk in.

Hope that helps

RB

A daft additional question, which I should know the answer too but am not sure of.
Can I use ordinary shoes/trainers on clipless pedals, maybe Shimano M520's (which are on offer at the moment)
The reason I ask is that half of my riding is to the local Tesco etc etc and it would be a bit of a pain to get in and out of special shoes for an hour trip that is mostly spent trying to dodge trolleys and aggressive female shoppers.

Top Bottom