pedals and shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonnyboy

can anyone help me through this minefield of choice want to spend about 90quid. they're for my road bike but using them for commuting and so need to be able to walk up and down steps with the shoes so mtb shoes and pedals will be better?? Is the shimano gear any good heard they were too fiddly to clip and out of. been looking at crankbrother pedals(smarty)and specialized shoes but not sure about compatability??not got a clue really!!! please help cheers

kyuss

Veteran
Shimano gear is good. You can't go wrong with a pair of M520 SPD's, I've been using them for years, they're dead easy to clip in and out of if you adjust the tension properly and they last for ages (current pair are about 5 years old). Any 2 bolt mtn pedal will be fine though (ie crankbrothers, Time ATAC, SPD) and will give you the recessed cleats you're after when used with a mtn bike or touring shoe.

Time ATAC are also held in high regard, and there's the newish Look Quartz system (though there seems to be mixed reviews on these), but I wouldn't get the Crank Brothers Smarty. I don't think the release tension can be adjusted which isn't ideal for a beginner (it's a good idea to have this set pretty loose till you get used to it), and if you read some of the reviews they seem to have a tendancy to fall apart pretty quickly.

Specialized shoes are also very good, I've a pair of the road shoes and they are excellent. I'm sure the mountain bike shoes are just as good. Any mountain bike shoe will have a 2 bolt cleat fitting so will fit just fine with any mountain bike pedals like those mentioned above.

jimboalee

I was going to say how good these shoes are,,, had them for three years, comfy as slippers and heels have hardly any wear - for only £55,,, but needed to have a lie down.

Top Bottom