Pedals, cleats etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ok I'm currently using Look Keo cleats and pedals and as some of you know from other threads I'm frustrated by the rate I go through cleats. So with Xmas looming I've decided to change and the option seems to be some Shimano MTB shoes that look kind of roadie but recess the cleat. To go with these I was initially looking at Shimano M520 pedals but then I saw these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/crank-brothers-candy-1-pedal/

Anyone used these? They would appear to fit the Northwave Lizzards (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/northwave-lizzard-pro-sbs-mtb-shoes/). Any one used these pedals and can give a comparison over the Shimanos. The most important bit to me is being tightly bound in, I'm happy to used a fair bit of force if I need to get my foot out but when climbing I like to feel the pedal is very firmly attached to my foot.

TIA

P.S I ride a racing bike predominantly but may also fit these to my MTB.

adscrim

Veteran
Have you thought about just getting cleat covers?

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Have you thought about just getting cleat covers?

Yeah I have but I just know I'd stop using them most of the time. I get off the bike in the car park at work, lock it and walk away. I just know that I wouldn't remember cleat covers or I'd start thinking it was just a faff.

The recessed cleats seem to solve this idea.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
For multi-purpose pedals, road, mtb, touring and walking, I find the M520s hard to beat. The cleats take some wearing out too.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
For multi-purpose pedals, road, mtb, touring and walking, I find the M520s hard to beat. The cleats take some wearing out too.

How long would you say you get out of a pair of cleats Rich? I'm currently getting through as set of Look Keos in around 1-2 months.

Cheers

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
How long would you say you get out of a pair of cleats Rich? I'm currently getting through as set of Look Keos in around 1-2 months.

Cheers

The pedals wear out before the cleats Martin.
biggrin.gif

In all seriousness MTB cleats last a bloody long time.
My commute shoe cleats are now 4 years old and show only a small amount of wear.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Same as Ian, Martin. Years rather than months and I wear them as my evening shoe (!) on tour too!

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
The pedals wear out before the cleats Martin. :biggrin:

In all seriousness MTB cleats last a bloody long time.
My commute shoe cleats are now 4 years old and show only a small amount of wear.

Same as Ian, Martin. Years rather than months and I wear them as my evening shoe (!) on tour too!

It looks like I'm heading down the right path then and as no one has spoken up for the crank brothers' pedal, Shimano it is. Message sent to missus with details.. :biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I have a vague recollection that there was an issue with the crank ones once - either the cleats or the pedals wore out fast. I may be doing them a disservice though!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I have a vague recollection that there was an issue with the crank ones once - either the cleats or the pedals wore out fast. I may be doing them a disservice though!

I've had some Crank ones for a while now and they're still as good as the day I bought them - must get round to putting them on a bicycle one day.

Fiona N

Veteran

I'm a big Crank Brothers fan and have Candys on my mtb (with Eggbeaters for the winter or real muddy off-road) and recumbent, with Quattros (now discontinued :B) road pedals) on both road bikes. This allows me to wear the same shoes and boots on all the cycles (although I have to remove a bit of the sole lug from mtb shoes to fit the Quattros).

As the small brass cleats are recessed, they're much longer lasting than the Look and similar style cleats. I'd say they're at least as good in this respect as spd cleats from when I use to use these.

But the advantage of Crank Bros pedals (besides the robust build, great float, 4-sided entry etc.) is that you can get rebuild kits to overhaul them whereas with Shimano, it's generally a case of chucking them when the bearings go as you can't get rebuild kits for the seals (Smarties are the excepted but they're much cheaper to compete with entry-level spd pedals). This might not matter if you don't do much mileage or only ride in fine weather, but as I ride everywhere and often, all year round, I want quality kit that I can rely on and maintain myself to get years of use out of it.

P.S. There was an issue with Candy bearing in a batch about 5 years ago but the way it was dealt with was typical Crank Bros. You took the offending pedals (I had one with a duff bearing) back to the retailer who handed over a new pair. No 'we'll look into it and get back to you' bother, no messing about sending them back to Crank Bros to sort it - just a new set of pedals there and then.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm a big Crank Brothers fan and have Candys on my mtb (with Eggbeaters for the winter or real muddy off-road) and recumbent, with Quattros (now discontinued :B) road pedals) on both road bikes. This allows me to wear the same shoes and boots on all the cycles (although I have to remove a bit of the sole lug from mtb shoes to fit the Quattros).

As the small brass cleats are recessed, they're much longer lasting than the Look and similar style cleats. I'd say they're at least as good in this respect as spd cleats from when I use to use these.

But the advantage of Crank Bros pedals (besides the robust build, great float, 4-sided entry etc.) is that you can get rebuild kits to overhaul them whereas with Shimano, it's generally a case of chucking them when the bearings go as you can't get rebuild kits for the seals (Smarties are the excepted but they're much cheaper to compete with entry-level spd pedals). This might not matter if you don't do much mileage or only ride in fine weather, but as I ride everywhere and often, all year round, I want quality kit that I can rely on and maintain myself to get years of use out of it.

P.S. There was an issue with Candy bearing in a batch about 5 years ago but the way it was dealt with was typical Crank Bros. You took the offending pedals (I had one with a duff bearing) back to the retailer who handed over a new pair. No 'we'll look into it and get back to you' bother, no messing about sending them back to Crank Bros to sort it - just a new set of pedals there and then.

Ah so it's all re-opened now then. How firm/tight does the connection feel when you're pedalling? I do a fair amount of mileage which will probably increase next year and would like to feel securely attached.

At least the shoes are sorted as both SPD and Cranks appear to be two hole setup. Eenie meenie.......

Cubist

Still wavin'
Ah so it's all re-opened now then. How firm/tight does the connection feel when you're pedalling? I do a fair amount of mileage which will probably increase next year and would like to feel securely attached.

At least the shoes are sorted as both SPD and Cranks appear to be two hole setup. Eenie meenie.......
Crank Bros have a natural 6 degree float. Engaging can sometimes be a little vague, and to be fair I found that the brass cleats wear a bit quicker than Shimano. The float means that you will take a bit of getting used to them if you want a bound in tight feeling. Your knees will thank you for the float though.

Your foot won't pull up out of them though, they release with a 20 degree outwards flick, or 15 degree inwards.

I had them Eggbeaters on my MTB and commuter. That was fine when riding XC stuff, but when I started to get a bit more technical I found it harder to engage the eggbeaters, and pedal strike often threw my foot out of the pedal. I now keep them for bridleways and challenges as they shed mud like crazy and are very light, but switch to a Shimano M545 with its cage surround for gnarly stuff.

Top Bottom