Pedals, shoes, cleats?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crisscross

My 10 year old daughter has just joined her first cycle club.

We are very pedestrian cyclists, plodders more than peddlars and are baffled by the terminology and shocked by the cost!

Most of the other riders have shoes that "lock" to the pedals but we don't know where to start as there seem to be many different kinds.

The club rides are on a circuit track but we'd also like her to be able to use the bike during the week wearing trainers.

The bike we are buying has Shimano SPD pedals already fitted, which may not be appropriate.

I think these are MTB ones but don't know what differences there are.

She wears size 4 shoes but with childrens feet growing so rapidly we wondered if people buy secondhand ones at all?

Finally are there any "idiots guide to cycling" style books out there for non cyclist parents?

Any advice appreciated

Paul_L

Über Member
SPDs for a 10yo?????

That doesn't sound safe to me.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
If your daughter's joined this club, I'd have thought you could take advantage to chat to some of the other members about these kinds of things. I personally agree with Paul that 10 seems a bit young for SPDs. What kind of bike for a 10 year old comes with spds pre-fitted?

DaveyB1981

I'm in agreement here. SPD's do not strike me as a great idea for a 10 year old, especially one that has just joined a club. Maybe let her "acclimatise" and then progress?

Anyway, if you choose to go that route, mtb SPD's are fine. I use Shimano 520's on both my road bike and my mtb.

Dave

OP
OP
C

crisscross

[quote name='swee'pea99' timestamp='1283081634' post='1378924']
If your daughter's joined this club, I'd have thought you could take advantage to chat to some of the other members about these kinds of things. I personally agree with Paul that 10 seems a bit young for SPDs. What kind of bike for a 10 year old comes with spds pre-fitted?
[/quote]

It's a secondhand islabike 700

I think I would prefer to start her off with "ordinary" pedals that don't need clipping into until she is confident with the bike.

Are there any in particular you can recommend that would be suitable for everyday use as well as on the track?

Thanks

sadjack

You can get pedals which have a "normal" flat side and a cleated side for clipping into spd type shoes. I use them on my touring bike. They are great for when your starting out as you dont need to be clipped in to use them.

Google "Touring" or "Trekking" pedals and you'll see a variety of styles and prices.

Randochap

Senior hunter
I started with toe-clips and straps at 11/yo, but was already an experienced rider. "Half-clips" (sans straps) are available, but this still requires kicking the pedal into the right position to slide feet into the clips. That is also the case with the dual-use SPD pedals mentioned by sadjack.

I wouldn't bother with anything more than a simple platform pedal for the time being.

adscrim

Veteran
Remember that a child is going to be far more adept at learning to use clipless pedals than most adults. I was on look clipless pedals at 13 (nearly 20 years ago) and never had any problems. I had SPD's on my mountain bike a few years later, which I used of an evening in trainers, again with no problems. I believe that clipless pedals will be more of a help than a hinderance - just make sure your daughter is comfortable, you start off loose and get some practice clipping in and out (while on the move) somewhere safe, such as a local park.

If most of the people at the club are riding clipless, providing your daughter with clipless may take away one of the possible barriers to her going along and having a good time. She may of course not be bothered.

Of course there are those who still believe that clipless pedals are some kind of dark art...

Top Bottom