Perfect bike touring tent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What if there are no trees?

My concern would be the sleeping positon, you would be stuck on your back in one position all night, with a curve in your spine, personally i cant see it being much use other than in a wooded area where avoiding contact with the ground is a neccesity due to poisonous reptiles and insects, as mentioned before anywhere you are likely to get hit by wind or anything other than vertical rain would make for quite an unpleasant night i would think. Personally i'd go for a 1 man tent most come in between 1.5 and 2 kilos your back will thank you atleast.

snorri

Legendary Member
It can be difficult enough finding a campsite, to find a site with suitably placed trees for a hammock would be all but impossible!:sad:
In a tent you can have your open panniers conveniently placed around you, not so handy witha hammock.

jags

Guru
ray mears uses them all the time so they can't be all that bad.
edit ooops

andym

Über Member
Well yes, but what about the practicalities of living as opposed to sleeping? What do you on a day when there's torrential rain all day and all night, and nowhere else to shelter? What about getting dressed and undressed or even putting on a jumper? Where do you put all those bits and bobs that you want to have to hand inside the tent? Where do you put your panniers and the other stuff that you would normally keep in a tent vestibule?

Nothing against hammocks - these are genuine questions.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Horses for courses.

There's no real weight saving over a lightweight tent like a Laser Comp.
If you don't normally sleep on your back you may not get on with them. You lie diagonally and are meant to be able to lie flat, but that's something I'd want to try before I buy.
Very few campsites will have suitable trees that aren't obstructed by someone else's tent. Wild camping only, no showers
You are either in them, sleeping or reading, or out of them. How/where do you cook in bad weather?

They do have, or can be had with, midge screens

The no trees argument doesn't really stand up. You would just get used to finding somewhere suitable, the same as you do when wild camping with a small tent. Those need flat ground with suitable pegging, which can be hard to find in some areas.

Jaguar

I slept in a hammock every night for six months and never had a twinge of backache.

I have severe back pain, and the best thing for it is my hammock. I just wish I was allowed to hang it in the house.

I used a Eurohike one man tent for about 13 years for biking/camping, it was superb (sold it for a Vango with no porch, wish I'd kept it)

Top Bottom