Perfect commuting light – MagicShine or Cateye?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Sorry for bringing this up again, but I'm curious about this not just from a cyclists angle, but also from the perspective of other road users (including cyclists)...

Given that the MagicShine doesn't feature any beam cut-off, is it irresponsible to use these for commuting on roads? I'm all for being seen, and in my case whilst my commute route includes >75% unlit cycle-paths (where the extra powerful illumination from them would be more than welcome to actually see), I do have to argue with traffic for the other 25%. Perhaps I shouldn't be worried about blinding other road users (including cyclists!), and I guess you can angle any light down a bit....

At the moment, I'm tossing up between the MJ-816 with road-friendly 'near' mode or the Cateye 'Single Shot Plus' (which I'm guessing puts out about the same light as the outer LEDs on the MJ-816..?). My average speed for my 14mile commute is 15-16mph, and I have found myself cruising at ~20mph.... would the MagicShine be overkill?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No1 the Cateye is rubbish - the mounting on the light unit will crack eventually - a number on here have had that happen.

With any powerful light, you can run them on low for traffic, and if you angle them down slightly, they don't present a problem.

Lots of us on here have Hope 1's - very well made, take AA batteries, and 100% reliable. So good I bought two !

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
No1 the Cateye is rubbish - the mounting on the light unit will crack eventually - a number on here have had that happen.

With any powerful light, you can run them on low for traffic, and if you angle them down slightly, they don't present a problem.

Lots of us on here have Hope 1's - very well made, take AA batteries, and 100% reliable. So good I bought two !
Thanks fossyant. Perhaps I should score the Cateye of my shortlist of 2 and add the Hope....

ELL

Über Member
I have just purchased a MJ816 for my commute and sounds like the same sort of roads as you.

I have no problem using it on the roads as said you can turn/angle them down and a lot of cars have brighter light and they dont turn them down. As long as you have it set up properly I dont see a problem

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I have just purchased a MJ816 for my commute and sounds like the same sort of roads as you.

I have no problem using it on the roads as said you can turn/angle them down and a lot of cars have brighter light and they dont turn them down. As long as you have it set up properly I dont see a problem
Cheers ELL – the MJ-816 does seem on paper to be the perfect solution. Have you had a chance to use yours yet, and can I ask where you got it? I think this at £93 seems like the best deal right now, plus it's UK shipped with a warranty :thumbsup:

I use the RSP Astrum 6W (which is two lights - rechargeable system). Have one light set higher than the other. That way I have max visibility on country lanes and can turn one off in town. I reality though I just either a) point the light lower or b) put it in flash.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I use the RSP Astrum 6W (which is two lights - rechargeable system). Have one light set higher than the other. That way I have max visibility on country lanes and can turn one off in town. I reality though I just either a) point the light lower or b) put it in flash.
Thanks SquareDaff – I take it you mean these?

ELL

Über Member
Cheers ELL – the MJ-816 does seem on paper to be the perfect solution. Have you had a chance to use yours yet, and can I ask where you got it? I think this at £93 seems like the best deal right now, plus it's UK shipped with a warranty :thumbsup:

I have not had chance to take it out in the dark on the bike yet but tested it outside in the dark of night and it lights the road up very very well. I got it from a UK seller on ebay for £85 here. I ordered it over the bank holiday weekend it was sent on the Tuesday and turned up on the Wednesday

Thanks SquareDaff – I take it you mean these?
Whoops! Astrum is the back - yes I mean those!
Got mine for £70 last year....got asked by another cyclist at work what I used as they were dazzling him from 600m away - so they are bright. Have also been told by the missus that I've had them angled up a little too much as they've blinded here driving from the opposite direction.

Just put them on the bike last night and charged them up ready for the commute. Still going strong after a summers "no use".

The other advantage - you can replace the rechargeable batteries once their 3-500 cycles are done (battery compartment isn't sealed - uses screw with waterproof rubber seal mechanism).

If you look around there're also instructions out there on setting yourself up a bigger battery for extended running times.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I have not had chance to take it out in the dark on the bike yet but tested it outside in the dark of night and it lights the road up very very well. I got it from a UK seller on ebay for £85 here. I ordered it over the bank holiday weekend it was sent on the Tuesday and turned up on the Wednesday
Ah, I noticed those listings – seems (s)he's doing the MJ-816 for £95 now including a quick-release handlebar clamp.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Whoops! Astrum is the back - yes I mean those!
Got mine for £70 last year....got asked by another cyclist at work what I used as they were dazzling him from 600m away - so they are bright. Have also been told by the missus that I've had them angled up a little too much as they've blinded here driving from the opposite direction.

Just put them on the bike last night and charged them up ready for the commute. Still going strong after a summers "no use".

The other advantage - you can replace the rechargeable batteries once their 3-500 cycles are done (battery compartment isn't sealed - uses screw with waterproof rubber seal mechanism).

If you look around there're also instructions out there on setting yourself up a bigger battery for extended running times.
Sounds good... what's the beam pattern like? Sounds like they perhaps offer more of a spot than a flood given your comments above?

Sounds good... what's the beam pattern like? Sounds like they perhaps offer more of a spot than a flood given your comments above?
I can't compare it to either of the other suggestions as I've never seen them in action - but I can belt down a tree lined country lane in the pitch black at 25mph+ and not have any thoughts of slowing down. Distance depends on your handlebar angle - it projects a main beam about lane width (so 6-8ft). I've read reviews saying the beam angle is narrow - but once on the city site of my commute my lights illuminate all the road signs - and having ridden through a snow storm last year I know the dispertion pattern is quite wide.

The best way is to look at a photo - will see if I can get one against the garage door tonight.

I would be concerned about using something without either a beam cut off or a very focussed beam. If the light is being sprayed out everywhere it doesn't matter whether you point them down or not, it will still dazzle and you do not want motorists coming the other way on a country lane to be dazzled. As Squaredaff points out his lights have dazzled his wife and another cyclist already. The analogy is made with car headlights but they have a very sharp beam cut off to avoid dazzling on dipped beam.

The other danger is that if we get too many dazzling lights on the road someone might start to take an interest in enforcing the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations for bicycles which not help in having good lights to see with.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I would be concerned about using something without either a beam cut off or a very focussed beam. If the light is being sprayed out everywhere it doesn't matter whether you point them down or not, it will still dazzle and you do not want motorists coming the other way on a country lane to be dazzled. As Squaredaff points out his lights have dazzled his wife and another cyclist already. The analogy is made with car headlights but they have a very sharp beam cut off to avoid dazzling on dipped beam.

The other danger is that if we get too many dazzling lights on the road someone might start to take an interest in enforcing the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations for bicycles which not help in having good lights to see with.

Thanks goodness I'm not alone in being concerned about this then! I think maybe from what Squaredaff has said he simply has his pointed a bit too high, as from what I've read those Asteri's do have quite a narrow beam....

With respect to the Magicshine (or other similar light), is it possible to effect some sort of d-i-y beam cut using tape? I'm beginning to wonder if covering the top half of the lens with frosted vinyl would work :unsure:

Thanks goodness I'm not alone in being concerned about this then! I think maybe from what Squaredaff has said he simply has his pointed a bit too high, as from what I've read those Asteri's do have quite a narrow beam....
I think you're right -I now have a "mark" on the garage doors that I align my lights to. I put previous "dazzles" down to a poor aim - I just never expected bike lights to generate that much output. Then again, I hadn't ridden for 20 years before last winter!

Top Bottom