Peterborough 100 - my first sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doogle84

Anyone else signed up for the AMR Peterborough 100 on 22nd April? I've gone for the 100km route as opposed to the 100 mile one, because it's my first ride of this scale...

I'm a 12 mile round trip commuter 2-3 days a week on average (more like 0-2 days at the moment), plus I've started doing a nice, hilly 12 mile route on Sundays. The thought of doing five times this distance is a bit daunting, any advice on how to get up to speed would be welcome.

I'm taking some confidence from my expectation it will be slightly flatter than the Worcestershire/Warwickshire border I'm living on at the moment...

Also, is there any riding etiquette I should be aware of for these kind of rides?

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I've got my first big ride coming up in July (see sig). It's just a sponsored ride, but I'd also be interested in etiquette too as I'd imagine they'll be some experienced riders around.

As for training, I'm just trying to build as many base miles as I can, putting in some big rides in there building up max as I go. I've got upto just over 40 hilly miles on the hybrid but it's just too uncomfy after that to carry on! Got a roadie on order so hopefully that'll change things up a gear.

Good luck with yours!

OP
OP
doogle84

doogle84

A braver man than me, I was tempted by the 100 miles but maybe next time. Good luck!

A roadie will help no doubt, I've found mine a pleasure since it arrived in the autumn and it's probably the main reason I'm signed up for a long ride.

I think I'll build in a bit more mileage this weekend. At what point do you have to start thinking about refuelling yourself on the way?

MattHB

Proud Daddy
A braver man than me, I was tempted by the 100 miles but maybe next time. Good luck!

A roadie will help no doubt, I've found mine a pleasure since it arrived in the autumn and it's probably the main reason I'm signed up for a long ride.

I think I'll build in a bit more mileage this weekend. At what point do you have to start thinking about refuelling yourself on the way?

On an average route I know I'll start to flag at about 1hr 45m, so I'll take an energy drink with me and have small amounts from about 1hr 20m. A 500ml will get me about another hour so long as I carry on drinking water. I drink a lot of water!

I don't know if that's the right way to do it but it seems to work for me :smile: longest I've been out for now is about 3 hrs. Building on that slowly

Rando

Veteran
Not signed up this years event yet as I am deciding on the AMR Peterborough 100 or the AMR Warwickshire 100. The Warwickshire is a week before I believe and is closer to home for me.
I did however complete the AMR Peterborough 100 miles last year. This was my first attempt at the distance and my training consisted of 50 - 60 mile rides with one 70 mile ride in the 5 weeks prior to the event.
The organisation of the event by AMR was first class and the feed stations were excellent. If I sign up for another AMR event this year I would only take water with me as the food stations were always fully stocked with a vast range available and some delicious homemade cakes !! Cannot praise the event enough.
I was supposed to be riding with a friend but he cancelled about 4 weeks before the event with injury so ended up cycling on my own for pretty much the whole 100 miles. I went at my own pace and didn't want to go off too fast so lots of riders were going passed me at the start. My sole aim was to complete the 100 miles which I did.
I am sure you will enjoy the day and the route is through some lovely countryside with a few decent hills to test you.

e-rider

crappy member
I've signed up for the 100 mile event - never done this particular event before but I've done plenty of other 100 milers over the years. I've heard it's slightly hilly which is my perferred terrain - flat is boring and very hilly is too much when covering 100 miles!

See you there!

e-rider

crappy member
is there anyone out there that has done this ride before? I've entered but now have to fly to Vienna straight after for work which isn't idea. I need to know how hilly the route is so that I can calculate my ride time and do all the sums!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Not done the ride, but ridden some of the route.

Some bits will be nice and flat. However if you are going anti-clockwise, the countryside for the second quarter is an intensive mix of uphill, followed by downhill, followed by uphill, with no rest at the top or bottom. This will be tough and soul-destroying. Noticed that they have a drinks stop just before the last hill.

Fortunately 50 - 75 looks good before the last 25 miles makes sure that you finish the course knowing that you have completed 100 miles.

As far as I understand it, lunch is quite leisurely on AMR rides, but not done one, so can't confirm.

It won't be a quick one, but shouldn't be too bad.

fenman

Not done the ride, but ridden some of the route.

Some bits will be nice and flat. However if you are going anti-clockwise, the countryside for the second quarter is an intensive mix of uphill, followed by downhill, followed by uphill, with no rest at the top or bottom. This will be tough and soul-destroying. Noticed that they have a drinks stop just before the last hill.

Fortunately 50 - 75 looks good before the last 25 miles makes sure that you finish the course knowing that you have completed 100 miles.

As far as I understand it, lunch is quite leisurely on AMR rides, but not done one, so can't confirm.

It won't be a quick one, but shouldn't be too bad.
it goes clockwise the last feed is at the top of collyweston hill coming up from ketton lovely feed stop at the top ,it is up a lane at side of church dont miss it,after that nice fast run home

e-rider

crappy member
5 hours 44 sounds quite quick for this route. I usually do the Norwich 100 in about that time but the route is very flat. I'm expecting to take about 6 and half hours for this one.

Top Bottom