Petition: adding to the driving test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Was reading someones blog a few days back (I forget who's, I found it on Twitter) about driving tests and lessons. This person was Spanish, I think, and said that they were taught "you must be x distance away when passing because..." and "you must not overtake on blind bends because.."

It seems logical. Speaking to a recently passed driver they told me they hadn't a clue how to overtake a cyclist. It seems the UK system is lacking, we need to change it so I've set up a second petition:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/13266

If you agree the please consider signing, tweeting, facebooking etc.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Was reading someones blog a few days back (I forget who's, I found it on Twitter) about driving tests and lessons. This person was Spanish, I think, and said that they were taught "you must be x distance away when passing because..." and "you must not overtake on blind bends because.."

It seems logical. Speaking to a recently passed driver they told me they hadn't a clue how to overtake a cyclist. It seems the UK system is lacking, we need to change it so I've set up a second petition:

http://epetitions.di...petitions/13266

If you agree the please consider signing, tweeting, facebooking etc.

Signed, although the wording could be a little better. The title is ambiguous as it could mean awareness about cyclists or awareness by cyclists, and there is no mention in the text about the driving test, only about being taught.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Signed, although the wording could be a little better. The title is ambiguous as it could mean awareness about cyclists or awareness by cyclists, and there is no mention in the text about the driving test, only about being taught.

I was struggling for space, its a 1000 character limit. I was hoping that the meaning would be OK split between the title and the description box. I think I reworded it about 3 times. :wacko:

Oh and once its up theres no way to change it, obviously.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Signed. I'm writing a blog post at the moment about passing laws. Distances are pretty stupid as it's hard to measure and is different in different circumstances.

Signed it.

As an example of cycle awareness in the Hazard Perception bit of the driving test, go here, from 1min 45 onwards.

Requires a Health Warning for any of us with High Blood Pressure, or IRS (Incandescent Rage Syndrome) :whistle:

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Signed it.

As an example of cycle awareness in the Hazard Perception bit of the driving test, go here, from 1min 45 onwards.

Requires a Health Warning for any of us with High Blood Pressure, or IRS (Incandescent Rage Syndrome) :whistle:

Thanks

Yeah its like 1 cyclist isnt it? I think it needs something more indepth. Perhaps renaming "hazard" to "road reading" would be a more positive proposition as the cyclist is rarely a hazard to drivers...

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
Signed. I'm writing a blog post at the moment about passing laws. Distances are pretty stupid as it's hard to measure and is different in different circumstances.
Signed.

Most interested to see your blog. As I've made clear in some of my other posts, I see no reason why the UK government cannot follow the line set by several fellow EU states and legislate on a minimum passing distance. Having signed the petition referred to here and received a reply that the then government considered that current traffic law covers this issue sufficiently it would appear that our rulers are, as ever, completely out of touch with the reality of cycling on the road in the UK - as anyone who has ever reported close overtakes to the Police will well know.

Ach, it was the convenience of the space to the driver's right that allowed him/her to carry on, without really slowing, almost certainly passing too close, that drove my IRS to level 7.5 :rolleyes:

Whatever happened to "waiting behind with patience", instead of "squeezing through".

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I have signed several 3ft or 1m distance petitions in the past, and a couple this weekend. I don't beleive enough is being said about how and why drivers should, hence mine.

Steve Kinsella

The UK Highway Code is clear on how much room a driver should give a cyclist, when overtaking - Rule 163 requires drivers give cyclists "at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car" and the picture clearly shows a driver overtaking a cyclist by taking the opposite side of the road as he would when overtaking a car. Many drivers don't observe this, as we cyclists know only too well.

There's a recent petition for asking for cyclists to be given just 1 metre clearance - far too close and much less than the Highway Code requires. The petitioner appears to be unaware that he is asking for a frightening narrow gap (think of potholes and long lorries) that is a more dangerous standard than the Highway Code.

The Highway Code is guidance , not law (except where it says "must"), but non-compliance can be treated as evidence of an offence (such as careless driving).

Better training of both drivers and police would help. I wonder whether Rule 163 actually appears in anyone's driving test.

Top Bottom