Petzl Myo XP Head Torch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SoulOnIce

I know there are some gadget freaks on CC so whilst this is not strictly cycle related this review might be of use to some.

Quite simply this is a stunning piece of kit.

I recently started running again after a spell of bad shin splints. I've now moved to the country and there is not really more than about 3 miles of streets with lighting in the small market town that I live in. And I want to run more than 3 miles and I don't fancy doing a double loop. I really want to run off road on some of the footpaths and trials nearby but this is not possible in the evening without some artificial light. Enter the Petzl Myo XP (2008 version) - the 2008 bit is important, more on which later.

The only downside on this excellent bit of kit is that it costs a few bob – between £40 - £50 but it really is very good and I have to say it was money well spent.

Build
I think I'm right in saying that Petzl make kit for climbers, who would expect good quality and safe kit - and happily as you'd expect the quality and build is excellent.

Features

• The light has three light level settings with a boost feature for short term boost in light by around 50%.
  • There is a diffuser that can be slid into place if required, though I use it without.
  • Like most head torches swivels (up and down) to aim the light to where you want it.
Batteries
The battery pack (3 AAs) is in a box that sits at the back of your head on the band. It looks like it is too big and would be uncomfortable. But I can confirm it is perfectly fine to wear - I've worn the torch for an hour run and I had no problems.

There is also a model that comes with a battery pack that you can attach to your belt. But this would be of no use if you are using the torch for running – and anyway, as I said the battery pack on the head band is fine.

Light output
This is, of course, the most important thing. And it is very impressive. I have used the torch to run down a pitch black narrow (18” wide) track with various obstacles on the ground such as tree roots, fallen branches and other detritus. The light quality was high enough for me to run down the track negotiate it with ease.

On wider, disused, railway track (again in the pitch black) the torch gave sufficient output to run at a comfortable pace. The light quality is not good enough to run at real speed, so you can't use it for fartlek or interval training in the pitch black, but the light is good enough to run at a steady pace down any footpath.

This excellent light output only applies to the 2008 model which is way better than the 2007 model. The 2008 model is grey with green buttons. The 2007 model is blue with yellow buttons.

Conclusion
If you need a well built, high light output head torch, and you have £45 to spare then you will not be unhappy with the Petzl Myo XP.

OP
OP
SoulOnIce

SoulOnIce

I looked at the Tikka and went for one of these, which is a lot cheaper has good reviews on the page-
http://www.alpkit.com/gamma/

The Tikka is a lower spec model to the Myo XP.

The light you link to looks good value at £12 but it is only "up to 51 lumens" and the Myo XP is 85 lumens (and 150 on boost).

I guess it depends upon how much you need the extra light and if you can afford to pay the extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom