pheww that was close

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ranger

I had one of those moments where you just have to go and sit down for a few minutes this morning.

Coming down the cycle lane on Ferry Road (just before Morrisons for those that know it) a car flies past without seeing the stopped traffic in front, overreacts slams on the brakes and steers hard left, across the cycle and up onto the pavement between 2 pedestrians.

I must admit it was a total brown trousers moment, and probably not one I'll tell the wife about

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Ranger said:
I had one of those moments where you just have to go and sit down for a few minutes this morning.

Coming down the cycle lane on Ferry Road (just before Morrisons for those that know it) a car flies past without seeing the stopped traffic in front, overreacts slams on the brakes and steers hard left, across the cycle and up onto the pavement between 2 pedestrians.

I must admit it was a total brown trousers moment, and probably not one I'll tell the wife about

Could of been nasty. I agree with the last line, sometimes its best not say anything. :?:

Sounds like it could of been nasty. With that wind I opted for the Roseburn path rather than the road. Its adds almost 10 mins to my normal route but my normal route would have been 90% into a headwind and takes me a detour by Haymarket. Just after Haymarket I stopped at a red light but in the outside lane the bus failed to. The ped about to cross had a brown trowser moment but fortunately she recovered quickly to give me a smile.

It's at times like that I wish I smoked .. glad you're OK. Is it the change in the weather, or Monday morning, or a bit of both? There's some proper nutters about at the moment.

There was a bit of a kerfuffle at the top end of the bypass near me this morning .. I was just on a bridleway which goes close-ish to the road for a bit and then swings away and runs parallel to it. There's a roundabout with traffic lights on it at the top and it goes from 2 lanes to 3 in the run up to the roundabout .. I noticed out of the corner of my eye a car switch from lane 3 (where there was a queue) to lane 2 in a bit of a hurry and then heard lots of brake locking up and horns going on behind me. I didn't hear a crunch so guess they all got away with it.

I didn't pay too much attention as even my closest approach to the road is not all that close and there's barriers and verges and things between me and it was all behind me. But it sounded like someone having a bit of an "I can't stop" moment.

skwerl

typical car driver mentality. Instead of risk damaging your car just aim it across the cycle lane and up the pavement and risk killing a few people instead.

I have a narrow bridge on my commute. There's a blind corner on the exit and I often get cars passing me even though they can't see if a car is about to come round the corner. If one does the only way to avoid a collision is to move left, leaving me pinned between a car and a stone wall. Still, I'd rather have two broken legs than see someone's car get dented, or see them have to wait 20 seconds for me to clear the bridge before they pass.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Ranger said:

Yikes ! Know that route well - I cycle it on my commute. Glad to hear that the car didn't take anyone out, as it's usually quite busy with bikes & peds along there.

My usual trouble spot is coming down Telford Road to Crewe Toll; like the traffic, I'm hitting 30+ mph as it's a fast downhill. Unfortunately, drivers still see me coming and think "bike = slow", and pull out on me.

goo_mason said:
My usual trouble spot is coming down Telford Road to Crewe Toll; like the traffic, I'm hitting 30+ mph as it's a fast downhill. Unfortunately, drivers still see me coming and think "bike = slow", and pull out on me.
I picked up a tip on here (or C+ :cheers:) for pseudo pedalling, pedalling down hill but not actually hard enough to accelerate; since I've been doing this less things are pulling out on me.

goo_mason

HLaB said:
I picked up a tip on here (or C+ :biggrin:) for pseudo pedalling, pedalling down hill but not actually hard enough to accelerate; since I've been doing this less things are pulling out on me.

Interesting ! I'll need to give that a try over a period and then try again without and compare the results. I'll also have to use a bit of braking too, as I accelerate down there without pedalling due to my weight :biggrin:

goo_mason

BentMikey said:
Supposed to be good for your knees too - apparently not good to let them chill without movement.

To be honest my legs never stop unless I'm coasting to a halt at the lights. My commute is never leisurely - it's my only form of exercise so I do push myself quite hard !

Top Bottom