Photo Printing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ELL

Über Member
I am after a little advice from anyone who may have done this or something like this before.

Its my wife’s 30th birthday in April and I am having a little party for her. As is the custom for this kind of event I am speaking with her Nan to get lots of photos from when she was young and will be making a collage or four with them.

Now my question is what’s the best way to copy the photos? Some I will do 6x4 some I will make larger.

My printer at home isn’t best for photo printing so wont be using that as I want to keep the photos after. The 2 options I can think of are going to Jessops (as I have a £10 voucher) and using their scanners to copy and print them or copy them on my scanner at home and get them done online.

I was wondering if the scanners in Jessops are a lot better than you get on the home 4in1 printer scanners for home use? I see a lot of the on-line companies offer free prints when you sign up so I may take advantage of them.

Thanks for your help

ohnovino

Large Member
I'd scan a couple at home, stick them on a flash drive and take them to somewhere with one of those photo machines (I think most supermarkets have them now). You'll be able to print them off for a few pence and that'll give you an idea of the quality of (a) their printing and (b) your scanner, without wasting too much time/money.

akb

Veteran
I would avoid jessops printing; they are both expensive and the quality is poor!

Are you intending to copy 6x4 size photos and then blow them up to larger sizes? Although possible, you will lose a lot of quality as you are in effect stretching the pixels to achieve a larger size. Do you have the digital photos available?

My advice would be to use somewhere like Jessops for copying (assuming that you dont have digital files / film) and then go online for prints. I do all of my printing (I am a semi-professional photographer) with DS Colours labs. www.dscolourlabs.co.uk and only have praise for them. For the cheap price, the quality is perfect and they usually turn prints 'round in a day or two.

HTH.

Anil.

akb

Veteran
As an additional note; I have tried and tested supermarket printing service for personal use; both expensive (about 15-20p p/p) and poor quality. DSC do 6x4 at 12p p/p.

Doseone

Guru
I have done similar things for relatives. Normally scan the photos then upload to photobox or mypublisher. Have been very pleased with the results.

OP
OP
ELL

ELL

Über Member
Thanks for your help. Photobox was one of the websites I was looking at using so think i will use them for it.

I will be keeping most of the pictures the same size as they are already apart from a an A4 that I may get done bigger cut the face out and use it like the things you get at the seaside so people can use it to be her aged 3.

Top Bottom