Photography question. Camera change.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone got one of these super zoom bridge cameras like the Canon SX10 or similiar? I'm thinking of selling my Pentax *ist D and lenses and flashgun in favour of one of these. Reason is I don't really use it and have not used it as expected. I think I would use an all in one camera with a good video function, a bit smaller and more portable but still with enough features to keep the photographer in me happy. Any views from anyone?

MichaelM

Guru
Crackle said:
Anyone got one of these super zoom bridge cameras like the Canon SX10 or similiar? I'm thinking of selling my Pentax *ist D and lenses and flashgun in favour of one of these. Reason is I don't really use it and have not used it as expected. I think I would use an all in one camera with a good video function, a bit smaller and more portable but still with enough features to keep the photographer in me happy. Any views from anyone?

I'm not really in a position to recommend a camera as I'm not a good enough photographer. But, I do have a Fuji S200 HD - the HD being the high definition video bit. Not that I use that facility, it was a long zoom with a viewfinder that I wanted.

Might be worth a look. The Panasonic bridge cameras seem to get good reviews though.

Michael

MichaelM

Guru
Crackle said:

I'm not really in a position to recommend a camera as I'm not a good enough photographer. But, I do have a Fuji S200 HD - the HD being the high definition video bit. Not that I use that facility, it was a long zoom with a viewfinder that I wanted.

Might be worth a look. The Panasonic bridge cameras seem to get good reviews though.

Michael

Edit:

A couple of pics with different coulours - taken using one of the auto modes (man is available but I don't know what to do with it!).

2008_1206ella40026.jpg

2008_1206ella40071.jpg

Attachments

• 2008_1206ella40071.jpg
    2008_1206ella40071.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
C

Crackle

Yes, the Panasonics generally get good reviews. A work colleague had one and borrowed my DSLR to compare, You couldn't tell the difference until he started taking pictures in lower light and then the DSLR came into it's own.

The Fuji also gets good reviews and they are a couple of cracking pictures Mike. I think the video lets it down though from what I've read, quite a few artifacts and I do want reasonable video. So far the SX10 seems to have the best video, 2nd to SX1 but despite it being a higher model, picture quality on SX1 is poor.

Another important point is that I want it to run on AA's or AAA's as I don't want to carry a charger with me.

I think I might wait on a review of the new Pentax X70, though again I think it's let down by the video.

So far it's the SX10 or the FZ28 which I'm favouring. More the SX10 as I believe there's some faff involved in converting the FX28 videos: Alex?

twowheelsgood

You have to be careful with the super-zoom cameras.

In order to achieve this without having silly sized lenses, the sensor is necessarly small. You see all those telescope-sized zoom lenses so beloved of the Papparazi, those were necessary just to fill a standard 35mm frame.

This usually means poor low light performance and resolution (no matter how many mega-pixies they claim).

If you want to stay compact and avoid DSLR I'd look at the Canon G series a serious, quality product.

allen-uk

Another vote for the Panasonic Lumix. I was a 35mm film man for many years, vowed I'd never change, etc., all the usual claptrap, then took some advice and went digital. 'Which' recommended the Lumix, and so now would I. Excellent for point and shoot, but also first-class if you want to over-ride the automatic settings.

A.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Crackle said:
So far it's the SX10 or the FZ28 which I'm favouring. More the SX10 as I believe there's some faff involved in converting the FX28 videos: Alex?

i don't know, i tend to use the camcorder for video. i'm also on a mac, which can sometimes overcome problems by virtue of its' excellent photo and movie software.

I've been amateur photographer for 20 years, starting of with film, and then SLR digital for the last 4 years.
To get into SLR digital photography, really needs a desire to learn a bit of tech, to get the best out of it. The tech learning is a basic requirement, IMO.

I have a P&S Canon, actually, my daughter does, which has video capability, just about good enough to use on a PC/mac very easily, and the 'still' quality is acceptable at all but the extreme enlargement scales.

Super-zooms, tend to use image enlargement by digital means, which CAN have a detrimental effect in image quality, again, at large magnification, BUT, for most people's use, is good enough.

I would argue that if your able to buy the low-end 'pro-sumer' SLR's, and WANT to learn some basic photo 'tech', that's the way to go - if you have any reason NOT to want to do this, buy the best P&S, with the highest 'OPTICAL' magnification you can afford.

HTH, PM me if you wish for more OPIONION!

I can't agree with those who have said the Lumix series gives results as good as a proper DSLR. My Lumix, while a competent enough camera, gives noticeably inferior results compared with my D200. But then it was a good bit cheaper. And anyway, the most important bit of any camera is the bit immediately behind the viewfinder.:tongue:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Just to be clear: I've got a digital SLR. Trouble is I don't use it. It was meant to be my hobby but I find I spend less and less time picking it up and consciously taking pictures with it. Whereas, my trusty Canon S30 (3Mp jobby), goes everywhere with me and records the family hols etc... Though in fact Mrs Crackles Casio is taking over because it has a better video function. So the reasoning was, ditch the SLR and buy a camera I will use for everything but of course will compromise on image quality but be a damn sight more portable.

Anyway, I'm beginning to have some doubts now. Selling off my DS and lenses won't leave me too much money over to buy a new bridge camera and the quality might be more of a compromise than I thought.

I like the G serious. I remember being impressed by the G1. I might look at them again.

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
i use a canon D20 with 55 - 200mm lens on, it seems fine to walk around with and the good thing is the 20d is now really cheap lol

dont know how useful what i just said is though lol

OP
OP
C

Crackle

After thinking about it, I might keep it. I doubt I can take shots like this with a Bridge camera, so.......
_IGP1033.jpg

I might, instead, look at replacing my S30 compact. After playing with my Pentax, I realized I would miss it.

Top Bottom