Pics of my Btwin Triban 3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Monkspeed

Just some pics of my first road bike. I had a MTB around 2000 when I was in Sydney and sold it when I came back to the UK in around 2001, so I haven't been on a bike in 10 years!

I really wanted a Felt Z95 or a Cube Streamer 2011 model but unfortunately I just couldn't stretch my funds that far.

ANYWAY here are the pics, not as nice as most of what you lot ride but a good intro to road cycling for the money...

IMG_0437.jpg

I changed the standard seat.

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

Is this good or bad??

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

I presume this is quite heavy compared to say a Fulcrum 5??

IMG_0444.jpg

Also purchased a Btwin bike "computer"

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

Standard wheels.

IMG_0448.jpg

Tyre size.

IMG_0449.jpg

Carbon forks and also the wireless transmitter for the bikeputer.

IMG_0450.jpg

Frame material

IMG_0451.jpg

Stem which I have inverted while I get used to the riding position. Its maybe +10 degrees? Also notice the four spacers.

IMG_0452.jpg

Shimano shifters. I personally hate these and much prefer Tiagra style.

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

It says "Sunrace" on the smallest cog, I guess that is the bearing manufacturer? Also shows the cassette ratios.

IMG_0459.jpg

Again showing the cassette ration on the smallest cog.

I hope these pics help out someone also thinking of buying the same bike. :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Good spec - Wheel tyre a little heavy, but should be strong. Will take guards/rack as well.

OP
OP
Monkspeed

Monkspeed

According to the bikeputer I've done about 57km total now, 18 of that was on a bike track, so 39km on our lovely pot hole filled roads, and it seems to be doing well. The gear change is a little sluggish sometimes.

A few weeks prior to purchasing the Triban 3, I used a Giant SCR 2.0 and a Scott Speedster S on hire whilst at the bike track, it compares quite well considering their price differences! Those bikes felt a bit more efficient and had smoother gear changes though.

So far I am very happy with my purchase. :biggrin:

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
That is a very tidy looking bike. Nice shallow drops for comfort, good gear ratios and components. This should tick all the boxes, and will be very comfortable for the longer rides

Enjoy!!:bicycle:

OP
OP
Monkspeed

Monkspeed

Nice bike nice price im considering one of these myself as an introduction to road bikes
Anything you need to know just ask and I would be happy to help. :smile:

That is a very tidy looking bike. Nice shallow drops for comfort, good gear ratios and components. This should tick all the boxes, and will be very comfortable for the longer rides

Enjoy!!:bicycle:
Thanks! I've had to use the granny ring on more than one occasion!

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
Anything you need to know just ask and I would be happy to help. :smile:

Thanks! I've had to use the granny ring on more than one occasion!

That's what it's there for! 30-25 is still more than 1:1. My Giant OCR has 28-28 and I occasionally use that (although I'd never admit it).......Doh!

subaqua

What’s the point
I have the earlier non carbon version the sport 2 . lovely bike to ride and good value. am not a weight weeenie so whats on it does me good. good for the commute too in the summer

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some good stuff there - KMC chain etc. Plenty of room to drop the height on the front (your back etc. permitting - if not used to it) and the extra headset clamp (just above the bearing race).

HovR

Über Member
I was looking at this bike a few weeks back, and didn't quite believe the price. A very good deal, and seems like a nice bike!

OP
OP
Monkspeed

Monkspeed

That's what it's there for! 30-25 is still more than 1:1. My Giant OCR has 28-28 and I occasionally use that (although I'd never admit it).......Doh!
Well everyone knows now :tongue:
I want to change it to a two chainset wheel thingy eventually maybe a 34/50 or 36/50 when my muscles build up, but I'm still learning about all the different gear rations and what all the numbers mean...

whats the pedals like from a practical point
I like them! They are called "Miniclips" I believe. It was awkward at first, putting the first foot in while stationary is fine but its when I set off and try to squeeze my other foot in, have to look down and wobble about while trying to put it in. BUT, after a few days use of the bike I've found I can more or less put both feet in fine now without looking, it is slowly becoming second nature... :biggrin:

Some good stuff there - KMC chain etc. Plenty of room to drop the height on the front (your back etc. permitting - if not used to it) and the extra headset clamp (just above the bearing race).
I wondered why that extra clamp is there for?? Extra robustness?

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Looked at one of these myself before I got a stonking deal on a Giant Defy 4 (only £30 more). The 2300 triple is not as slick as the 105 compact double I have on my other bike, but you'd expect that seeing as 105 is more than double the price of 2300. In terms of ratios the 105 compact 34/50 with 12-25 cassette only has two less gears than the triple set-up.

Easiest on the compact double is 2.8, the triple has 2.5 and 2.3 extra.

Couple of points - align the front QR lever with the fork to reduce the risk of accidental opening. Looks like you lost the crimp cap from the front brake cable.

Top Bottom