Pinch points and humps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Around here we have no end of speed humps, especially on the approach to and in the middle of pinch points. These are presumably designed as traffic calming by restricting the flow of traffic to one lane for about 10' with priority arrowed in one direction.

My problem with these is that to keep primary I need to ride over the centre of the humps for 100 yards or so prior to the pinch point, if I go around them toward the curb, it sends the wrong message to other road users, especially oncoming traffic.

Is there a better technique for these? (Not all have one of those skinny little cycle lanes that runs to a parked car to one side for that to be an option)

Sorry if the description's not clear, I looked on google but the roads I have in mind must have had them added after google took the photos.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Speed cushions?
Hold primary until about 15-20ft away, shoulder check and if safe go to the right of the speed cushion

OP
OP
ClichéGuevara

ClichéGuevara

Legendary Member
Speed cushions?
Hold primary until about 15-20ft away, shoulder check and if safe go to the right of the speed cushion

That's my problem though gaz, to hold Primary up to that point, I'd need to mount two or maybe three other humps or wander in and out to go around them. The humps themselves are pitted from sump and exhaust rash.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
How many cushions are there?

The way to do it is go on the right side. If that means moving back and forth often, then so be it.

OP
OP
ClichéGuevara

ClichéGuevara

Legendary Member
There's an almost continuous series of humps, so swerving in and out makes cars behind think they can squeeze past but it also leaves the ones heading towards think that they can get through the pinch point if there are no cars behind me.

No big deal if it's a local thing, I'm big and ugly enough to push on through, I just thought more experienced riders may have had a more correct method.

I guess a similar situation is when parked cars both sides narrow a road for a considerable length. Generally car v car causes arguments as to who should pull in when, but bikes seem to confuse the issue even more.
Me, if the first gap is on 'my' side I'll pull in as I would in my car, but if it isn't I'll ride in the middle, as I would in a car, as a driver found today.

I don't know if it's bad form, but I stood my ground causing him to stop, let him have his rant before asking him to look out of his window and explain where I'm supposed to fit and ask why he'd just past two gaps on his side even though there were none on mine, and to be fair he did look suitably sheepish.
I backed into a narrow gap between two parked cars to let him passed, but I don't think he's in any doubt that next time he'll be reversing.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You shouldn't be seeding so much so that cars can squeeze past you, that defeats the point of primary position. Let me see if I can find a video example of how I do it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nothing wrong with standing ground - I do it lots...

GrasB

Veteran
ClichéGuevara, most drivers catch on after you go around 2 speed cushions. The drivers that don't won't understand why you're doing it even if you explained it to them ;)

Top Bottom