Pinch points and taking the primary position.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone else find this difficult to judge? I'm always abit unsure whether the car behind will drive into me or start honking his horn?

Had abit of a mare with this today. There were cars parked on the side of the road just before a pinch point. I went to take primary and a Royal Mail van almost drove straight into me. It was as though he thought I was going to stop in front of the parked car to let him through.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I don't think there's much to do about the horn, but I've certainly had a few where you could hear the brakes working overtime. Most of the time it doesn't come to that and they'll fall behind properly. I think it's also local geography and driving culture, you get places where people repeatedly behave stupidly ;).

Sam Kennedy

I'm not 100% on this, but you could point to the right to indicate you are moving to the middle of the lane, however don't do this if there is a right turn coming up!

I don't know if this is standard practice though, but you could see how it works out! ;)

I've found that visibly looking behind on the approach to a pinch point seems to give carvan drivers a bit of indication that I'll be moving across a bit once they consider the roadside furniture. If you keep looking forward they often don't even consider that I will run in to a parked car in a few yards, but look behind and all of a sudden they see that I may need to manoeuvre into their path and become considerate....mostly.

asterix

Comrade Member
Riverman said:
Anyone else find this difficult to judge? I'm always abit unsure whether the car behind will drive into me or start honking his horn?

Had abit of a mare with this today. There were cars parked on the side of the road just before a pinch point. I went to take primary and a Royal Mail van almost drove straight into me. It was as though he thought I was going to stop in front of the parked car to let him through.

Royal Mail have some the worst van drivers on the road in York, impatient aggressive and incompetent.

They've put a few of these pinch-points in York and I hate them. It seems as if cyclists are being given the job of speed-humps. Worst incident I had was a silver van from a Wales. After he had to slow down behind me he overtook and then slammed on the brakes in front of me. He did it several times.

I took the companies phone number and asked to speak the guy in charge. When they put me through I told them about their drivers behaviour and the person said they took a very poor view of it, apologised, thanked me for telling them and said they'd speak to the driver on his return.

Jonathan M

There are several pinch points on the route that we (me & my 8 year old) use on the way to & from school. Typically it isn't cars from behind that we have issues with, but the on coming cars who, despite having clearly marked give way markings chance it with a couple of cyclists - Josh goes for the X-mas tree look with hi-viz etc, I'm slightly more toned down but still extremely visible.

Because I'm riding this route (it is about 3 miles each way) with Josh I spend a lot of time in the "primary plus" position, don't look in Roadcraft, it isn't there, I encourage Josh to ride clear of the kerb, so I adopt a position as his wingman, further to the right.

I have no issues ringing the owners of a clearly marked vehicle, IIRC most PO vehicles have a small code on the rear somewhere, for example L96, that relates to the sorting office etc, so the driver on the day should be clearly identifiable. IME it is often Parcelforce drivers that seem most impatient - perhaps they never did any postie rounds on a bike?

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
Sam Kennedy said:
you could point to the right to indicate you are moving to the middle of the lane

Coincidentally saw this happen this morning on my way in to work

Two guys riding together, (sort of two man chevron) coming up to a narrow downhill section of road, van immediately behind them looking to overtake (over double white lines ;))

Last man looks back, and signals low down with the flat of his hand towards the van driver as he moves to the middle of the lane - van backs off, leaving the cyclists to negotiate the hill and subsequent bend unhindered

Looked pretty cool from where I was

byegad

Legendary Member
I'd suggest that when this move is made you follow it up with a 'Please pass me' signal as you move in and the road is wide enough to be passed. I then give a cheery wave as the vehicle accelerates past me.

It sounds like a lot of arm waving but if it keeps you safe and shows the driver you are not being bloody minded just staying safe it is worth it.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Riverman said:
Obviously I don't know the exact situation, bus this is what I'd expect to happen if I'd left it too late to move across. Are you moving out early enough?

Also, as others have said, signal right. Too many drivers are aggressive and don't much care if they do make you stop, but will back down once they realise you mean business

asterix

Comrade Member
byegad said:
I'd suggest that when this move is made you follow it up with a 'Please pass me' signal as you move in and the road is wide enough to be passed. I then give a cheery wave as the vehicle accelerates past me.

It sounds like a lot of arm waving but if it keeps you safe and shows the driver you are not being bloody minded just staying safe it is worth it.

I'm very wary about giving 'please pass' signs to drivers behind and never do it.

I have done the opposite and signalled for them not to pass. 2 instances where I have prevented a certain accident, both in country lanes with hedges.

First, I heard a car coming up with the undoubted intention of overtaking on a bend round which was hidden a horse and rider. He couldn't see them, I could.

2nd in the Dales this year similar road layout, I could see an oncoming white Micra, the impatient Audi driver behind obviously could not but was actually going to overtake anyway, wife and kids in the car regardless. Extremely rapid deceleration by the Audi moron and a wave of thanks from the Micra driver.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Forward planning for these situations is important. I like to keep an eye on traffic coming from behind well in advance of pinch points as the density/speed of same-direction traffic will affect how easy it is to slot into the cente of the lane.

As others have said check behind that there is space (a good long look, if possible), adjust speed if necessary, signal, and make the move early. However, be aware that some drivers will try to overtake and cut in at the last minute (another look behind to check) so still be prepared to dive to the left.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Riverman said:

It sounds like you are leaving it too late when taking up the primary position. On the approach to a hazard such as a pinch point or parked cars, you need to move into the primary position at least 100 meters before you reach it, this means that when you are about 150 meters out you need to be looking over your shoulder and considering whether you need to give a signal.

I see a lot of cyclist that leave it far to late to move into the primary position. This is dangerous as from the point of view of the following drivers the cyclist appears to pop out in front of them...

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Pinch points are a great place to play 'Alloy Wheel Ping Pong'.

Simple instructions, ride towards pinch point. Idiot in chav mobile has to be past. Move to primary, they run into the raised kerbing because they are impatient pillocks.

Garz

Squat Member
I copy what marin has mentioned, some areas just breed a certain 'tosser' driver that you cant comprehend why. It must be a snowball of tosserism that catches on eventually they all think its an acceptable way to drive!

FootSore

Not certain on the waving drivers past. As a signed up memeber of the IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists) the general thought is that by waving them past (or out of a junction) is an indication that you have told them it is safe. If they crash and it wasn't safe do you want that in today's claim first society.

A friendly wave yes, an indication that it is safe to pass, maybe not.

Primary position - go early - car or bike. The amount of times I see drivers get too close to the obstruction and then have to over manouever round it. They end up having to wait for a gap rather than being able to get two cars through the gap. They then scowl at me when I don't let them through but it was their bad driving that got them in the jam in the first place.

Signal, Signal, Signal, go early and if you can look them in the face. They will bully a bike if they get the chance but make eye contact if you can and they often give you much more room. Cars are machines and they treat them that way. Look in the eyes and they often treat you as human.

Top Bottom