Ping - Andy in S.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
I'm told by a colleague who lives in Karlsruhe that even the northern parts of the Black Forest are under a metre of snow, so the term 'Black' is a misnomer if ever there was one. Made me wonder if you have also been inundated down there in Sigmaringen. We've got off with nothing but wind and rain (a bit like a British summer), and 90% of the snow has gone now.

If you don't answer for three days, that will be entered in the records as snowbound. ;)

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Sigmaringen, which is in the valley appears to be beginning to thaw out although the piles of shovelled snow are up to three feet deep or more in places. In Stetten am kalten Markt where I work it is about a foot deep and there's no way this lot is going to thaw out before the next lot arrives. It could be a rerun of last winter where we stayed white until well into March. The langlaufers are loving it though.

OP
OP
Unkraut

Unkraut

You answered the question on the other thread, and my sympathies for having to go to Mannheim!

I managed a commute in minus 11°C last week, the coldest so far, but it looks like the worst of the really cold weather is over. Now if that isn't tempting fate .....

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Well I hope it is as I'm off to München in a couple of weeks and I'm hand luggage only with Easyjet so haven't got space for loadsa thermals. I remember München as often being cold, too...

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
My coldest commute so far this winter was -17 deg. München can indeed be cold and they've had a worse winter so far than we have here. I'd take a fleece cardigan just in case, Helen. In any event go and warm up over a plate of something hot in the Andechser restaurant which in a side street off the main pedestrian drag.

Andechser am Dom
Weinstraße 7a
80333 München

You can even read the menu on the website.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Cardigan! Cardigan!!! I'm from Essex, we don't wear Cardigans!!!

But I shall try to warm up over a cup of tea (I shall obviously take along my own teabags).

I'm going for the St John Passion by JS Bach, which I will be seeing four times (yes, four - it's that good!) with Andreas Scholl (I'm a big fan) and Mark Padmore (I'm a fan). Should be top banana... except for the cold and having to go by air. Oh, and hotels seem inordinately expensive in München these days...

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Got somewhere booked already which sounds nice (from the reviews), if slightly Fawlty-Towers-esque. We'll see if I return in one piece!

I did consider staying further out, but I'd be coming home late from the concerts on my own and didn't fancy too much travelling.

OP
OP
Unkraut

Unkraut

Andy in Sig said:
My coldest commute so far this winter was -17 deg.

My record some years ago was minus 15°C, though it might have been a tad colder in the countryside. So that's me thoroughly deflated! (Can you say deflated on a cycle forum?)

So you don't miss it, Lidl have another offering of British food on this week, shortbread, Bramley apply pies, bakewell tarts etc. Not quite the real thing, but not a bad attempt.

Top Bottom