Ping : Edinburgh/Fife commuters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Question for you, the path thats been laid along the A8000 airport road, is that it !! As in is that all that will be doing ? Its better than what was there but still the paths either side leading upto this new short stretch are poor. I thought that they would be doing the whole path all the way along from airport to Newbridge :smile:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Try contacting Spokes about it, they are pretty good at getting things done...

Came home that way on Wednesday night when the trains were off. It seems like they're finished......

Now the road is near deserted much of the time, there doesn't seem much point to it!

Now, if there was any joined up thinking involved, that would be part of a proper "express" route from the bridge/kirkliston/ratho(via the disused railway)/airport/gogar/gyle/broomhouse drive etc into the centre, although I suppose the A80 route would suite most folk more. No chance either way of course.... There are several good bits along the route but by the time, if ever, they are joined together they'll have fallen apart and I'll be long in the ground.

Angus

Tetedelacourse

G'day Grumpy, good to see you posting.

Yep that's yer lot. I asked the council cycling officer about it when the work was being done. I didn't see any value in doing up a now practically dead road car wise. Apparently there was a bit of money set aside in 07/08 to be used up by April 08 and that's what they did with it. I don't use it as I prefer to be on the road, and I've seen maybe 2 people on it in 3 months. A perfect example of Edinburgh city council's attitude to cycling in our area.

They wont provide a route along the A90 as it's too pricey (£900k at last count) and they don't want cyclists on the A8 roadway as it's deemed to be (quote) an unsafe environment (unquote) for cyclists.

One thing I am happy about is the resurfacing of the B800 at the top of Kirky. Long overdue.

Spokes (of who I am not part as I wont pay the fee just because I live over the bridge) also I believe expressed a notion that it wasn't best use of money to upgrade the path along A8000. They've been trying unsuccessfully to lobby for an A90 cycle upgrade for ages and that's their main focus.

I have contact details for the council cycling officer, SPOKES and Sestran who dish out the dosh for these things if you want them, but as far as I'm concerned there is no interest in making a real difference here and getting people out of their cars and onto their bikes. Guess they're all busy planning the new bridge!

Cheers the noo.

Tetedelacourse

From the steep little right hander off Burnshot Road, the road down to the A8000 is very good, and definitely quicker than going to Dalmeny. As I say, the A8000 these days is quiet. So take the 1st left off that road and head past the old Royal Elizabeth Yard.

I use the A8 which is busy and probably to be avoided unless you're setting out from Corstorphine / Gyle etc, which IIRC you're not HlaB. So Barnton then Burnshot probably better for you.

Burnshot Road is a good surface but is over a mile longer than A90 or A8 for me, and I object to the constant obstacles being put in the way of road cyclists in this area.

Edinburgh council's idea of cycling seems to be restricted to a Sunday jaunt out with the family on sit up and begs and top hats.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
well i`ve been using the Kirkliston road loads now, like you however I feel the road is safer ( yes strange ) as the cycle path they have just done up has several junctions on it anyway. Its really a poor show in general and they have the cheek to tell folk to get of their arse in the car !!

Idle curiosity really, but are there any statistics out there about how many folk cycle commute over the Forth Road Bridge each day, and how many folk (like me) who cycle/train each day?

I was also surprised, while waiting at the Inverkeithing park and ride the other week, how many cyclist were (apparently) coming off the bridge there and getting into cars.

the times I've driven into Edinburgh I always do a head count of cyclists on the bridge, alongside the A90 etc, and its never less than half a dozen, and often into double figures etc.

Angus

And another thing.....

.... can any of you explain why I've never cycled into Edinburgh, only ever cycled home!......

I think, every time I think about it, I think about the climb up from the Inverkeithing park and ride to the top of the bridge and go "nah, not this time" and get the train.....

The more I put it off the more it bothers me, lol...

Angus

Ranger

angusde said:
And another thing.....

.... can any of you explain why I've never cycled into Edinburgh, only ever cycled home!......

I think, every time I think about it, I think about the climb up from the Inverkeithing park and ride to the top of the bridge and go "nah, not this time" and get the train.....

The more I put it off the more it bothers me, lol...

Angus

Because it is the worst, most soul destroying part of the whole commute for me, but it's no worse than the climb going northbound. The upside is coming down the other side at the 15mph speed limit :?:

Tetedelacourse

I assume that limit is for peds!

The climb up from there is a pig but it's only a mile in for me.

Someone said a while back, while I was moaning about this and that to do with the bridge that it's the best part of their commute. That changed my opinion. Of all the commutes in the UK, not many get views like we do and no traffic to worry about!

Has anyone ever been "done" for the 15mph limit?

I remember the disapointment of struggling to maintain it on the downhill stretch against a howling N'ly headwind, had to keep peddling all the way.

Have you noticed on the FETA website they are thinking about lowering the wind speed at which they close the foot/cycle paths?

Angus

Top Bottom