Ping: Experts on personal taxation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I work away from home, travel away on a Monday and back to my family on a Friday, commuting "locally" from work - digs - work from Monday afternoon through to Friday morning.

Am I eligible for any tax relief on accommodation an dtravel costs or the costs of effectively running two residences?

Should I be seeing a professional tax advisor or, if I am eligible for relief, can I navigate my way to a solution just bny talking to HMRC?

Thanks in advance,

Stig

sheddy

Legendary Member
If you are contracting, then yes
If this is a permanent job/location then no

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Are you self-employed or PAYE? You can't claim expenses for residence unless you are self employed working from home and only then on the proportion of your house used for business.... may then have HMRC chasing you for Capital Gains Tax if you sell your house on the part of your house used as an office
You can't [normally] claim travel expenses from your home to your place of work.

Se an accountant who can advise.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I haven't dealt with this directly but know some who do claim travel and digs costs.

TTBOMK, if you are employed and attend work at a regular site but are then required to attend another site then the costs may be an allowable deduction against tax.You can also claim back for earlier years.

Obviously if the company reimburses the costs then no claim is allowed.

Some Accountants don't seem to know about this - see one who does. No guarantee that you qualify but no harm in asking.

Top Bottom