Ping* Parents of young uns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

I think there are some environments that are inherently unsafe for small children, and being on an adult bike at high speed is one of them. Grown ups come off badly enough in the inevitable tumbles and crashes, how would a three-year-old fare?

The video where he's whizzing through the trees, you know yourself that even with care you 'will' come off now and then. Usually you go one way and the bike flies over your head in another. What's going to happen to the kid tangled between you and the bike then?

I used a child carrier on my bike a few times when the kids were small but, as DomTyler has said, only on cycle track and to be honest I wasn't even totally comfortable then.

I don't think the product is any worse than other child carriers but in my opinion the safety of these things is very limited. Would I use one of those for my kids on the cycle track? Yes, I think so. Off road? No chance, and it's way too expensive.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
for that money, i could get a really good trailer instead :rolleyes:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
redjedi said:
but I wouldn't like the idea of someone else holding onto the bars.

That is a very good point. When I used to have a motorcycle I used to *ahem cough cough* ride very slowly in our quiet cul-de-sac with one sitting infront of me holding the bars. This was fine until they used to try and steer it against the way you were going :rolleyes:

PrettyboyTim

I like the idea of being closer to my child while riding with him on the bike - with the wind and everything sometimes it's a bit difficult to talk with him on the child seat on the back. Also, this seat leaves the rack free for panniers etc, which is also a big plus.

My main concern would be that in the event of a Sudden Deacceleration Event, my body would ride forward and squash him against the handlebar stem.

Also, I'm not sure I fancy the bow-legged riding stance that I'd have to adopt.

However, other than that it looks reasonable. Apart from the price. My guess is part of the cost is due to the special system he's got for allowing a sturdy fitting onto a full-sus that doesn't have a nice straight crossbar.

Mr Pig

I think the Weeride looks better all round and is a third of the price. I like the plastic plate and pad in front of the child, I'd rather they hit that than smacked their face off the stem! Plus the child's body is strapped in to a full hight plastic seat. Again, I think that's a heck of a lot better than them just being held on by their feet!

In my opinion the Weeride makes the other seat look over-priced and under developed. I'd buy the Weeride.

domtyler

Über Member
The other great thing about the Weeride is that when they fall asleep (which they will) their head rests on the front bits.

Kids falling asleep on rear seats spend the journey with their head lolling about all over the place.

The frog-legged riding position does take a bit of getting used to, but it's not a real problem at the speeds you'd be going.

Just going by that, somewhat alarming, video on the web site I would say it is highly unlikely they would fall asleep with this product. :biggrin:

PrettyboyTim

To be honest most of us seem to be evaluating it as an alternative to a normal child seat or trailer whereas it appears to be designed especially for parents who want to take their children mountain biking. It looks as if it serves quite well for that purpose.

Trillian

theres no way i'd be able to get the brake levers with a pair of small hands there as i brake with my first or second finger. i'd also not be able to stand up for off road riding.

i'd be able to do fire roads and easy trails tho.

Dave5N

Über Member
A bad idea in my opinion.

Too many products for children put the parents' interests above the child's

Mr Pig

I think the issues of stability and safety are increasingly important when you're bouncing around an uneven surface.

I agree. I can't see how it is anything other than a poorer and more expensive version of the Weeride. On the Weeride the child is strapped in with a full harness, on this one he's held on by his ankles and the strength of his own hands! Unless the adult holds his hands onto the bars, which is suggested as a positive feature!

I'm sorry to be so negative, hat's off to them for getting a product made, but the concept is flawed.

Top Bottom