Pingdemic - did we score an own goal?

Did wonder if we as a nation scored an own goal.

We wanted travel knowing that it will allow the contagion to continue and with it new variants. It had to be Dubai and the Greek Islands. Since we know better and not keen on authority we took our own measures. We convinced ourselves that if we plan well we can do it.

Along the way the penny dropped. Self isolation does not help us but others such as friends, colleagues and strangers on the tube. So why not switch off the app. Some of us convinced ourselves that others are not behaving responsibly and why should we be the one to carry the can. Others felt that the app was faulty so that gave another reason to switch it off.

As of today we rank 7th in total number of cases as well as deaths with the like of India and Brazil in the top 10. We are ranked 20th in death per million and only Belgium is the other 1st world country keeping us company in the top 20.

Did Australia, Canada, New Zealand get it wrong?

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
If I may correct you there, Mr Foot.

Not all of us wanted travel. Some of us understand the full import of the word "pandemic" and "international health emergency" and have the gumption to understand that under the circumstances international travel is selfish and foolish.

Some of is have a bit of backbone, and understand what a little bit of self sacrifice and resolve can do for the national good.

Weve become a nation of weaklings and whingers, and all we do is want want want and seek personal gratification without consideration to any aspect the financial or social expense. Seriously, if we ever faced an existential crisis like we did in WWII we would be well and truly foxtrotted - the resteictions and sacrifices we face today pale into insignificance compared to those of 80 years ago, yet listen to the self entitled fools complain about the hardship.

Have you seen the lemmings on this mornings news? The resteictions are ligted at midnight, and theyre packed hundreds deep, shoulder to shoulder, teying to get into night clubs, prattling on about feeling like theyve been in prison for 18 months.

Fer foxtrot sake, get a life.

I never had the app in the first place, because im not daft enough to own a Google/Facebook sales tracking device. Instead I relied on following the rules implicitly, and relying on others doing the same. Sadly, too many in society are weak and complacent and fail to do as they should.

Where we find ourselves today is a failing of society at large, not a failing of government, or a failing of a mobile phone app.

When the ship is sinking it has become the norm to blame something/someone else for our own failings, and instead of acting to save ourselves we would rather complain instead.

Whinging instead acting positively got us another conservative government.

Whinging instead of positive discussion and action brought about Brexit.

Whinging never brought about anything good, but still the nation does it again and again as a response to any major issue, hoping upon hope that this time it'll bring is a different outcome. How thick is that?

And so it is now - instead of showing some resolve, fortutude, and willingness to act for the good of the nation and society, we instead foxtrot about and complain when it all starts to go breasts skyward, because we all know complaining and whining is much more effective than acting in a positive and consteuctive manner, don't we?

The other issue is one of metrics. We have one of the loosest drfinitions of covid death win the world, popping your clogs within 28 days of a positive test, irrespective of the actual medical cause of the subjects demise. I know of a chap killed by a falling wall who was written up as a covid death for statistical purposes, because he was within the time window following a positive test. That being the case, attempting to compare our death rates to countries with different accounting regimes is rather pointless - its directly like comparing pounds to dollars and getting excited over the differences, a ridiculous proposition.

Last edited:

Joffey

Guru
Did wonder if we as a nation scored an own goal.

We wanted travel knowing that it will allow the contagion to continue and with it new variants. It had to be Dubai and the Greek Islands. Since we know better and not keen on authority we took our own measures. We convinced ourselves that if we plan well we can do it.

Along the way the penny dropped. Self isolation does not help us but others such as friends, colleagues and strangers on the tube. So why not switch off the app. Some of us convinced ourselves that others are not behaving responsibly and why should we be the one to carry the can. Others felt that the app was faulty so that gave another reason to switch it off.

As of today we rank 7th in total number of cases as well as deaths with the like of India and Brazil in the top 10. We are ranked 20th in death per million and only Belgium is the other 1st world country keeping us company in the top 20.

Did Australia, Canada, New Zealand get it wrong?
I think we have got most of the pandemic response wrong and are even now trying to undermine our own vaccination programme.

We have acted too late at every point. Quick and hard (ooo errr Mrs) is the way to deal with the virus.

Freedom Day is not the way to 'learning to live with the virus' - we need a sensible, measured response. Sensible and measured are not two words I would associate with Boris Johnson.

In a fortnight when we have 70-80k infections per week, hundreds of thousands of people self isolating, pubs/shops shut due to no staff, England being red listed due to infections and hospitalisations increasing to worrying levels I don't think we'll be experiencing much freedom.

And the biggest joke is hardly anything is changing today!

cookiemonster

Legendary Member

Not all of us wanted travel. Some of us understand the full import of the word "pandemic" and "international health emergency" and have the gumption to understand that under the circumstances international travel is selfish and foolish.

Some of is have a bit of backbone, and understand what a little bit of self sacrifice and resolve can do for the national good.

Weve become a nation of weaklings and whingers, and all we do is want want want and seek personal gratification without consideration to any aspect the financial or social expense. Seriously, if we ever faced an existential crisis like we did in WWII we would be well and truly foxtrotted - the resteictions and sacrifices we face today pale into insignificance compared to those of 80 years ago, yet listen to the self entitled fools complain about the hardship.

Have you seen the lemmings on this mornings news? The resteictions are ligted at midnight, and theyre packed hundreds deep, shoulder to shoulder, teying to get into night clubs, prattling on about feeling like theyve been in prison for 18 months.

I never had the app in the first place, because im not daft enough to own a Google/Facebook sales tracking device. Instead I relied on following the rules implicitly, and relying on others doing the same. Sadly, too many in society are weak and complacent and fail to do as they should.

Where we find ourselves today is a failing of society at large, not a failing of government, or a failing of a mobile phone app.

When the ship is sinking it has become the norm to blame something/someone else for our own failings, and instead of acting to save ourselves we would rather complain instead.

And so it is now - instead of showing some resolve, fortutude, and willingness to act for the good of the nation and society, we instead foxtrot about and complain when it all starts to go breasts skyward, because we all know complaining and whining is much more effective than acting in a positive and consteuctive manner, don't we?

The other issue is one of metrics. We have one of the loosest drfinitions of covid death win the world, popping your clogs within 28 days of a positive test, irrespective of the actual medical cause of the subjects demise. I know of a chap killed by a falling wall who was written up as a covid death for statistical purposes, because he was within the time window following a positive test. That being the case, attempting to compare our death rates to countries with different accounting regimes is rather pointless - its directly like comparing pounds to dollars and getting excited over the differences, a ridiculous proposition.
:bravo:

Well said Mr Drago sir!

raleighnut

Legendary Member

Quite right, these are the same selfish nobbers who park in disabled bays, drive into ASL boxes, use mobile phones whilst driving etc etc

Ill mannered Oiks the lot of them.

The other issue is one of metrics. We have one of the loosest drfinitions of covid death win the world, popping your clogs within 28 days of a positive test, irrespective of the actual medical cause of the subjects demise.
Must admit I have long wondered about this, despite the keenness of many on here to claim some sort of negative Brit exceptionalism - that we are particularly bad. Common theme across many areas.
I wouldn't trust any figures coming out of China, Putin's place for instance, or many other places.

Joffey

Guru
Must admit I have long wondered about this, despite the keenness of many on here to claim some sort of negative Brit exceptionalism - that we are particularly bad. Common theme across many areas.
I wouldn't trust any figures coming out of China, Putin's place for instance, or many other places.
The 'real' Covid death figure in the UK could be a lot higher than what the UK Gov are reporting, even with the silly 28 day limit. The BMJ report a study back in May that suggests then it was upwards of 209,000.

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1188

We will never know the true extent of Covid worldwide but one thing we can establish is the number of dead in the UK and it is VERY high.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I was in NZ a year ago, and they were back to normal then. They did lockdown properly, and we, well, stuffed up at every stage. They had a track and trace system that worked, and we still don't. So yes, NZ got it right.
In comparison. here in HK, we had no lockdowns but quite a few restrictions, some of which are still in place to a certain extent. It seemed to have worked quite well despite a few hiccups.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
No-one trusts the figures from China, even here in HK. Approx 4600 deaths in a country with 1.4 billion population and they hid the virus for about a month after it was discovered? Nah!

SkipdiverJohn

Veteran
Usually most of the virus-related negativity comes from the same bunch of suspects who incessantly whinge on about Brexit. If they're not slagging off the UK in general, or the Tories, or Boris Johnson personally, or anyone who was so thick they voted Leave - they aren't happy.
Not only would I also not trust any Corona stats from China or Russia, I wouldn't trust any numbers coming out of most of Africa or Asia, or the Middle East either, because of corruption and incompetent administration. Then you have all the places with large tourist industries who also have a big vested interest in massaging the figures to make it look like they have the situation under better control than they actually do as they don't want to frighten off foreign visitors who come and spend money.

Top Bottom