Pingdemic - did we score an own goal?

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I suppose you think that everyone should walk around wearing a mask over the winter flu season too? Improving building ventilation is another one. Yeah right, let's open all the doors and windows in the pub in the middle of January and freeze our nuts off shall we?
Honestly, some of you on here seem to think that our lives should revolve around obsessing about whatever virus is currently doing the rounds and trying not to catch it.:rolleyes:
Here in Asia, pre-pandemic, it was normal for people to wear masks in ‘flu season and doctors say that good ventilation helps keep the virus numbers down. A few outbreaks of Covid here have been caused by poor ventilation.

I fail to see why you have such an issue with this.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Millions if not billions of people in the East seem to think so and for the last 20 years at least of my experience wear a mask if the are feeling even slightly poorly when going out. I assume this is backed up with some science.
I mentioned this in another post about mask wearing in Asia.

The University of Hong Kong Medical School carried out a study, in Spring last year, that concluded that mask wearing reduces infection risks from 66% to 16%.

Last edited:

markemark

I have a question and would welcome your (or anyone else's) view on it........given the propensity of the Sars-Cov-2 to mutate and the different levels of effectiveness of the various vaccines against some new mutants, is it realistic to ever think we could get herd immunity?

I suppose I'm thinking of the common cold and influenza viruses and the fact that we have never reached herd immunity to them.

If herd immunity is unrealistic, wouldn't a better approach to treat Covid like 'flu.......expect a Covid season, vaccinate all vulnerable groups and hope that the community isn't overwhelmed in a bad year? And perhaps encourage communities to continue with mask wearing and improving building ventilation? And even carry on with some form of Covid app?
My understanding is that there a number of covid viruses in circulation. It’s extremely likely you’ve have a different covid a number of times over the years.
The difference is because the others are in circulation you had it a couple of times as a child/young adult and it ‘was a bad cold’. You then built an immunity to it. Then getting again as an adult your immune system was primed so it was another ‘bad cold’ or ‘24 hour flu’.
The difference with covid 19 is that it’s new so no natural immunity has been built up in you.
Yes covid 19 will become less deadly but also it’ll be endemic and children will be primed with infection so it’ll cease to be a deadly virus. This’ll take a few years though.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Here in Asia, pre-pandemic, it was normal for people to wear masks in ‘flu season and doctors say that good ventilation helps keep the virus numbers down. A few outbreaks of Covid here have been caused by poor ventilation.

I fail to see why you have such an issue with this.
Snowflakes are afraid of the cold but too stingy to pay for a heat-recovering ventilation unit.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I suppose you think that everyone should walk around wearing a mask over the winter flu season too? Improving building ventilation is another one. Yeah right, let's open all the doors and windows in the pub in the middle of January and freeze our nuts off shall we?
Honestly, some of you on here seem to think that our lives should revolve around obsessing about whatever virus is currently doing the rounds and trying not to catch it.:rolleyes:
I will be wearing a mask in flu season from now on. Widespread mask wearing drastically reduced flu cases last winter so it makes perfect sense to normalise this behavior.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Apparently this has been doing the rounds locally:

View attachment 600247
Would be great if you could find a reference for those percentages, Andy [edit] I think it's an excellent clear message, nevertheless.
Although I think the first pairing should be 100%, and use that as a reference for the rest.
Clearly if the bloke on the right is fully vaccinated the risk of infection drops by 80% (insert other figure as you wish).
This graphic works on the premise the bloke on the left is infected.
ETA: Given the subject of this thread I'd observe that the bloke on the right would be pinged regardless. Perhaps there should be an option on the app to indicate the owner of the phone is masked up (or not).

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Veteran
I will be wearing a mask in flu season from now on.
Bonkers.

SkipdiverJohn

Veteran
Only about 10% of shoppers wearing masks now since Sunday. Most of the staff & customers of the small ethnic shops were ignoring the mask mandates all through the pandemic.
Not a single mask being worn by any customers I spotted in 'spoons on Monday. People are fed up to the back teeth with masks,

Top Bottom