Plan to let Ofcom censor the internet

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
What do you think about this proposal to enable Ofcom to censor the internet? As I understand it, Ofcom will be able to censor free content providers on YouTube and Facebook, but also readers' comments on online newspapers, blogs, maybe even sites like this. What sounds particularly concerning is that they could censor content that is not illegal but potentially harmful.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Police state :sad:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
It’s the will of the people. They voted for Boris and this is the result. Next it’ll be the censoring and control of the judiciary. The people wanted this and who am I to bleat about it?
Your icon reminds me of a Penny Farthing in the credits of a famous cult TV series filmed in Portmerion.....police state, surveillance..spies...no.6?.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
What do you think about this proposal to enable Ofcom to censor the internet? As I understand it, Ofcom will be able to censor free content providers on YouTube and Facebook, but also readers' comments on online newspapers, blogs, maybe even sites like this. What sounds particularly concerning is that they could censor content that is not illegal but potentially harmful.

Do you have a source for the powers you've referred to?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
"Ofcom will have the power to make tech firms responsible for protecting people from harmful content such as violence, terrorism, cyber-bullying and child abuse "
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51446665

Does anybody actually want these things to be freely available?
On the face of it no, the issue starts when we start considering definitions and the criteria used for putting certain groups on certain lists.

Brompton Bruce

Coffeeeeeeeee pleeeeease
The same people who say they want freedom also back censorship - when it suits.
That is a very sweeping assertion. Perhaps you could back it up with some robust evidence and clarity.....or else we'll take it for what it is - your opinion.

While you are clarifying - perhaps you could give some more details about 'the same people'. Who are they? The whole of the UK? Anyone left of centre? A couple of people you argue with on the internet? Some mates down the pub?

That is a very sweeping assertion. Perhaps you could back it up with some robust evidence and clarity.....or else we'll take it for what it is - your opinion.

While you are clarifying - perhaps you could give some more details about 'the same people'. Who are they? The whole of the UK? Anyone left of centre? A couple of people you argue with on the internet? Some mates down the pub?
It's not hard - look for a locked thread and see who 'liked' the lock.

Although I see you are too busy making personal snipes to do that.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Ofcom can’t sensor the internet. we all know the internet is too big and too deep to properly police.
All they can do is fine companies that fail to monitor the content of their platforms to ensure the content is suitable for the audience likely to view it.
clearly illegal stuff remains illegal. But platforms should be doing far more to eradicate subjects like suicide and anorexia promotion. They aren’t doing anywhere near enough at the moment.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
The same people who say they want freedom also back censorship - when it suits.

We see that on here at a very low level.

When a mod locks a thread, usually with a warning the topic is off limits, several posters press the 'like' button.

In other censorship news, a bloke who had a visit from the thought police has been backed by the courts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-51501202
I've noticed it's often the same people that lock the threads too.

Top Bottom