PlanetX & Cycle to Work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jiggerypokery

Über Member
Any one know if you can still get a bike from PX via Halfords? I know they were having words and had a bity of a falling out a while back and i was wondering if this has been resolved. I have a new voucher for a grand in my grubby mits and want to get another SL Pro Carbon for the shed.

Stu

walker

Can't find anything on the site so I don't think so

doyler78

You cannot get bikes through Halfords anymore. There is another bigger problem in any case because of the huge increase in costs of components there has been an increase in their offer price which now means that you cannot get their carbon bike for under £1000 which for most people on the scheme means they will not be able to use it.

This is something they should change. They should lower the spec as Dura Ace really isn't necessary for that price point and to have the value above the £1000 mark doesn't really make sense to me. Do whatever it takes to get the price back down to £1000 or less and offer Dura Ace as an upgrade that way people can get the best of all worlds.

OP
OP
jiggerypokery

jiggerypokery

Über Member
Utter bollox Doyler. Why can I go to the site and build a DA bike for £1K give or take a couple of quid given that they are out of stock on the standard seat post and they are quoting the DA build against last years 105 build which is what I had from them this time last year?

You may be right on the Halfords thing though but I will get that from the horses mouth rather than billybullshit:biggrin:

doyler78

jiggerypokery said:
Utter bollox Doyler. Why can I go to the site and build a DA bike for £1K give or take a couple of quid given that they are out of stock on the standard seat post and they are quoting the DA build against last years 105 build which is what I had from them this time last year?

You may be right on the Halfords thing though but I will get that from the horses mouth rather than billybullshit:biggrin:

You are an ignorant moron who can't count. What I had said is correct. If you take the minimum price that you can pay for a dura ace build which doesn't even include a saddle then you have a total bill of £1015.06. If you take into account the higher priced seatpost that has been ordered because the alloy is out of stock then you only save in the region of £9. That doesn't reduce you below £1000. That is a fact and if you can't count please do not refer to me as a bullshitter. ;) :tongue:

You are on a public forum and asked a public question. I answered it so to say you are going to get from the horses mouth when you could have done that in the first place is says more about you than it does about me.

My point was that with a lot of cycle to work schemes restricted to £1000 then the tiny difference is extremely important as anything more than £1000 is too much no matter how small.

I gave what I thought was a solution that would help everyone by reducing the spec about on the basic build and allow dura ace upgrades for those that want those at the higher cost.

OP
OP
jiggerypokery

jiggerypokery

Über Member
You're contradicting yourself....

If you take into account the higher priced seatpost that has been ordered because the alloy is out of stock then you only save in the region of £9. That does reduce you below £1000.

So where am I NOT purchasing a bike for £1K or less here?

And if you can't take a ribbing doyler I suggest seek a little teddy therapy of a hug of your mum.

doyler78

jiggerypokery said:
You're contradicting yourself....

If you take into account the higher priced seatpost that has been ordered because the alloy is out of stock then you only save in the region of £9. That does reduce you below £1000.

So where am I NOT purchasing a bike for £1K or less here?

And if you can't take a ribbing doyler I suggest seek a little teddy therapy of a hug of your mum.

Your quite right I put does where doesn't should have been. The figures should have hinted this was a simple typo as £1015-£9 is greater than £1000.

To call me a bollox and bullshitter I found quite insulting and just because you put a smiley after it didn't lesson it at all. The mistake was at your end in believing this bike is available through their website within the £1000 limit. Whether a bike without a saddle is considered a complete bike or not is another consideration and if isn't then you would have to add in the cost of the cheapest saddle also.

OP
OP
jiggerypokery

jiggerypokery

Über Member
Halfords really are a buch of arse some times...see mail trail below......

Hello Stuart,Interesting to see the response from Planet X, thanks for the info. I am sure you appreciate though, that we cannot promote the sale of bikes, whether through Halfords or another supplier which do not conform to using safety features etc. Cycle to work is primarily intended to get people to use bikes for commuting etc. So perhaps they aren’t suitable for the scheme. I understand your frustration and I am sorry that we cannot assist further with their bikes. I have to be honest, first thing I did when I got my bike through C2W – I threw away that ridiculous bell!

We chose not to to go through the standards procedures mainly because custom built race bikes (like we sell) are exempt from these standards (a lot of it is to do with fitting bells and reflectors) and to be honest we can do without having to fit 4 or 5 reflectors to bikes that the first thing our customers will do is remove them an throw them away!
It adds unnecessary cost to the bikes,which we don't like.
Halfords weren't happy with the margins we could give them. They got cross threw about all sorts of illogical arguments and we decided not to continue with

As discussed, please find attached an extract from the email we received from Halfords.

I am sorry we are unable to assist with sourcing Planet X Bikes at the moment, however please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Extract below:

“Planet-X - These bikes do not have a British or European standard approval.

As such they cannot be sold in the UK for use on the road. Planet-X get round this by selling the bikes for competition or track use only. Whilst this may satisfy some customers - it clearly does not help C2W customers, who are by nature riding on the road to get to and from work. Planet-X have declined out offer to have this bike tested so that we can obtain them through C2W! Until Planet-X cycles have a BS or EN standard on them we will not be able to access them.

In terms of alternatives, there are plenty which I'm sure the team have mentioned. For clarity they are below:

[Carerra Virago: Full Carbon, road bike. Far superior frame to the Planet-X, slight downgrade in components. The following link is for the Halfords E-commerce site:http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_370023_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_47151_crumb__parentcategoryrn_47151

Dolan Mythos: Full Carbon, road bike. Far superior frame to the Planet-X, same components as the Planet-X. A far better bike. Have a look at http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/uan/3154 - for an independant review. It's worth noting that the C2W Mythos has a further upgrade in components from Shimano 105 (on the review) to Shimano Ultegra on the C2W model.

Viner Gladius Limited Edition: Full Carbon, road bike. Far superior frame to the Planet-X, top quality mix of Campagnola and Miche componentry - including 2009 specification wheelsThis bike has been produced exclusively for Halfords C2W. It is an outstanding bike. Independent review of the 2007 model can be found herehttp://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/gladius-07-22908 We've upgraded the bike significantly from this spec

Top Bottom