PlanetX Kaffenback

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Stolen from Albenga, Liguria, Italy.
Heavily customised touring conversion.

Ortlieb front panniers, Altura bag bag and rear panniers.

ClQnpYmWkAAgN3k.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
Yours?

OP
OP
E

Edwardoka

All i have is my wallet, phone, and the clothes I was wearing. Everything else, gone. Not a great first impression of Italy TBH!

OP
OP
E

Edwardoka

Thanks all. Consulate this morning then going to hit up the library and contact local radio stations / bike shops / cycling clubs to see if I can't get my stuff - or at least some of it - back.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
All i have is my wallet, phone, and the clothes I was wearing. Everything else, gone. Not a great first impression of Italy TBH!

Ive Toured Italy, Corsica and Sicily by bike and motorbike and have not had a single problem and will be back again in a couple of weeks.

Im not being unsympathetic but if your passport was not with you I think you need to look at your security. The 2 things that I never leave with the bike is my passport and wallet. I can write everything else off and replace them or get home. But not without my wallet and passport.

My wallet and passport are in my bar bag. If I go for an ice cream the bar bag comes with me. It has to, its got the money in.

How did the bike get stolen?

Dont write Italy off because of this experience. Its a great place to ride a bike.

OP
OP
E

Edwardoka

My wallet and passport are in my bar bag. If I go for an ice cream the bar bag comes with me. It has to, its got the money in.

How did the bike get stolen?

Dont write Italy off because of this experience. Its a great place to ride a bike.
I don't need to review my security, as i no longer have anything worth securing.

I too kept my wallet, passport, phone, kindle, and everything in my bar bag. There were charity workers outside the entrance of the shop, i was going to be less than 5 minutes, I made a fatal judgement call of "it'll be ok." and didn't take the bar bag or lock the bike up.

The charity workers saw nothing despite it being wheeled away in front of their faces.

I should add, I had left it unattended on numerous occasions across the entirety of France and a week in Spain without issue. This was literally the first time that it had been unattended in Italy, and for less than 5 minutes. So while i don't disagree that my laid back approach to security represented wishful thinking, I can't help but re-emphasise the dozens of opportunities for theft that were presented over the preceding month of touring that weren't capitalised on, while noting that the first such opportunity in Italy was.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't need to review my security, as i no longer have anything worth securing.

I too kept my wallet, passport, phone, kindle, and everything in my bar bag. There were charity workers outside the entrance of the shop, i was going to be less than 5 minutes, I made a fatal judgement call of "it'll be ok." and didn't take the bar bag or lock the bike up.

The charity workers saw nothing despite it being wheeled away in front of their faces.

I should add, I had left it unattended on numerous occasions across the entirety of France and a week in Spain without issue. This was literally the first time that it had bern unattended in Italy, and for less than 5 minutes. So while i don't disagree that my laid back approach to security represented wishful thinking, I can't help but re-emphasise the dozens of opportunities for theft that were presented over the preceding month of touring that weren't capitalised on, while noting that the first such opportunity in Italy was.
We've all left a bike unlocked at some stage.

Mafia in need of transport!

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
What a terrible thing to happen. A Kaffenback is not going to be an easy thing to sell on down by the Med - I'm not sure I've even seen one in the UK. However, it's close enough to the French border for it now to be in a shed in Marseilles where it won't have been reported stolen.

Top Bottom