Planning to do the JOGLE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CHEXTER

Hey, i am planing to cycle from John o'groats to lands end next summer, i have a mountain bike with lockable suspension (Trek 4 series) Does anyone know if it would be stupid to do the JOGLE on this bike?

Thanks

OP
OP
C

CHEXTER

hey thanks, i didn't realise that i may consider going the other way then.

The only reason i wanted to end at LE was so i could go on holiday in cornwall at the end!

Do you know how much slicks cost?

bianchi1

Guru
I did it in mid august (2008) to try to make the most of the British summer. In the end it was a mix of cold, wind, sun and rain. Lots and lots of rain! I guess doing it outside of school holidays would make life a little simpler. Also try not to arrive in Cornwall on a bank holiday!

bianchi1 said:
I did it in mid august (2008) to try to make the most of the British summer. In the end it was a mix of cold, wind, sun and rain. Lots and lots of rain! I guess doing it outside of school holidays would make life a little simpler. Also try not to arrive in Cornwall on a bank holiday!

Me too. And it pee'd down for 10 days out of 14. It's a complete lottery. Just go prepared. The only saving grace was that we had a tailwind for most of the way.

My funniest moment was riding through a giant lake of a puddle somewhere south of perth, in torrential rain, while trying to avoid all of the flotsam and jetsam (branches, sods of earth, leaves etc) which was floating past, which had been washed off the fields.

Well it was either that or despite being absolutely soaked to the skin in Malmesbury, after 6 hours in torrential rain, and having to buy a bottle of water because we'd run out. The irony wasn't lost on me.

OP
OP
C

CHEXTER

Hey guys, one more question,

Does anyone know how long i should be training for before i attempt the e2e? Is there any good sites that give a good traing schedule?

bianchi1

Guru
So around 60/70 miles a day. Not as much as it sounds if you break it up over the day. The main thing is to get used to hours in the saddle. Saddle sores, bad back and a painfull backside will floor you before aching legs. A good pair of shorts is a MUST.

Top Bottom