Pleasant Cycle Routes in London?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adasta

Can anyone recommend some enjoyable cycling routes in London? I fancy going for a meander this weekend but would like to go somewhere nice rather than fighting with the traffic.

I'm in South London so I was toying with the idea of going out towards Richmond...

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The Thames Path can be fun. Start on the south side of the river at Chelsea Bridge and head west. At Putney Bridge swap over to the North side and then swap back to the south at Chiswick Bridge. Keep South until you get to Teddington. Then head to Richmond Park for some hilly action.

Have fun.

vickster

Legendary Member
I like the City at the weekend...did a nice circuit once, sightseeing, took a camera

One time - something like...got the train up to London Bridge, across into the City, past St Paul's, down Fleet Street to Aldwych, through Covent Garden, Westminster, Pall Mall to Buck House, past Vic Coach Station, Sloane Sq, Sloane Street to Knightsbridge, Hyde Park Corner (f'ing petrifying, can't imagine it in the rush hour, way too many lanes, buses, almost got squashed by an R8 :becool:), back down to Victoria and train home

brokenbetty

Über Member
Not south, but the Lee valley run from Clapton up through Tottenham Marshes is nice (except a grim bit under the North Circ).

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I did a really enjoyable Sunday ride last year - cycled up to Waterloo, took a train to Kingston and then crossed every bridge back to the Greenwich foot tunnel - not all of it's quiet but there's lots of variety and the river becomes your companion for the day and gives you an amazingly generous feeling of space considering it's slap bang in the middle of London.

Personally, if I get my creaky crank sorted and the new chain fitted, I'm off to have a look at Rainham Marshes and the bird reserves down that way on Sunday. (Note to self: remember batteries for the camera and binoculars...). More or less following the Thames to Woolwich, over on the free ferry and then heading east.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There is a weekly (well most weeks) Sunday ride in London from Hyde Park Corner.
Check out the thread here.

Usually a nice pootle to a cafe for coffee/tea/cake somwhere and to have a look at things that the wonderful & surprising things/views that the City of London can throw up.

Meets at the Arch in Hyde Park Corner at 9.30am.

Regents Canal is a good route rode part of it yesterday from Limehouse to Broadway Market.....not too busy with Peds and Dogs.

RSPB at Rainham is a nice trip out down my neck of the woods and the Homemade Cakes in the Visitor Centre are Pukka, if you walk round the Bird Reserve (where there is No Cycling), tell 'em you live in Rainham or Thurrock and they don't charge you....they also don't ask for address.

OP
OP
Adasta

Adasta

There is a weekly (well most weeks) Sunday ride in London from Hyde Park Corner.
Check out the thread here.

Usually a nice pootle to a cafe for coffee/tea/cake somwhere and to have a look at things that the wonderful & surprising things/views that the City of London can throw up.

Meets at the Arch in Hyde Park Corner at 9.30am.

This sounds good but maybe in a month or two when I have been out on the bike more. I will keep it in mind, though!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This sounds good but maybe in a month or two when I have been out on the bike more. I will keep it in mind, though!

Don't worry. It's not a fast ride. More at a conversational pace..
thumbsup.png

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Regents Canal is a good route rode part of it yesterday from Limehouse to Broadway Market.....not too busy with Peds and Dogs.

RSPB at Rainham is a nice trip out down my neck of the woods and the Homemade Cakes in the Visitor Centre are Pukka, if you walk round the Bird Reserve (where there is No Cycling), tell 'em you live in Rainham or Thurrock and they don't charge you....they also don't ask for address.

I love local knowledge!! And mid-ride homemade cakes..:tongue:

vickster

Legendary Member
Wandle trail looks really good - is it pretty flat as I have a dodgy knee and hills of any notable gradient are an issue (hoping this will get better though)?

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
There will be a nice 26 mile route painted on the road in 6 weeks. Start from Blackheath and end at Westminster. A couple a major roads to negotiate, but quite fun trying to keep track of and follow the lines.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
There will be a nice 26 mile route painted on the road in 6 weeks. Start from Blackheath and end at Westminster. A couple a major roads to negotiate, but quite fun trying to keep track of and follow the lines.

Aha, the marathon route! I saw last year that a few riders met up at the roundabout on the heath and pre-followed the route. (I like the concept of pre-following!) Do you have a rough start time or is it a closely-guarded secret?

Top Bottom