Please help me choose a bike for the Mrs for Xmas !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

medication25

Bike for the Mrs for Xmas

I’m going to buy my Mrs a new bike for Xmas, currently she has a crappy Halfords £90 jobby, she loves hre bike and cycles to work every day (Peckham to South Bank) her current bike is on its way out, bad brake, worn tires, so I’d like to get a nice bike for Xmas..

It would be great if i can pick the brains of the forum members here for some suggestions for the perfect bike! Heres some things i need to consider when buying:

• - She is a tall girl, 6”2 so he current bike is a man’s fame.
  • - She likes to ride in what i call a “Dorothy” position very upright so a Racer is not an option.. and the bars must be able to come up a bit...
  • - It will only be used around the city
  • - She loves pink/purple/red and clean looking bikes
  • - Price range anything upto £600
When riding with her i notice she never changes gears EVER just toddles along (fast) in the same gear with annoying ease.. so id like to think about a single speed for her, and because it will be simple to maintain?

Can you guys suggest some possible bikes id like to look at some pics and then possible have my LBS order the bike for me and fit it for her?

Thanks so much for your time!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hi there, have a look through this lot, there should be something that takes yours/her fancy.

http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/complete-bikes/hybrid-bikes

Ivan Ardon

Are you trying to do this as a surprise for her? Uh-oh, you're entering dangerous territory if you are! I notice you say that the ones above are the ones YOU like so far - the bike's not for you though, is it.

Get her involved, ask her what she wants, let her try some for size and buy the one likes the best.

OP
OP
M

medication25

Ivan, lol yea its a surprise.. however i showed her those 3 saying im going to by myself a new bike... and she said she liked the red one best....

Mabye you are right though and i should just take her to the bike shop :wacko:

OP
OP
M

medication25

i think i will take her to a bike shop over the weekend and have her fitted, any suggestions for good bike shops in SE London? pref one with a good selection of bikes and some SS bikes?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cycles UK in Greenwich/Deptford have a very good & large range.
It's on the Creek Road.
Nice guys in there also..

medication25 said:
i think i will take her to a bike shop over the weekend and have her fitted, any suggestions for good bike shops in SE London? pref one with a good selection of bikes and some SS bikes?

jimboalee

Simple.

Buy her a pair of nice cycling gloves and stuff £300 in each.

Less wrapping paper involved...

ELL

Über Member
I know you say that she only uses one gear all the time but one of the beauties of gears is you can find one that's best for you and stay in it. If you get her a SS and she doesn't like it its a lot more to change the gear that a flick of a lever.

OP
OP
M

medication25

Jimboalee,

that's a good idea, but id have to make it a voucher or she would be str8 down west end buying shoes :rolleyes:

IanrUK, thanks i will take her there sat or Sunday.... i think its best to let her try the bikes esp as shes so fussy/picky/tall....

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Don't discount the idea of a hub geared bike for this sort of use, 3 speeds would be fine. You can mess about with gearing via rear cog size, quite cheaply. A Sturmey Archer AW 3 speed has gear 2 as direct drive, aim to match that to the gear she likes to cruise in. The she has a gear above for speed and a gear below for hills, feeling tired, headwinds, etc.

You get the benefits of single speed re chainline, wear, etc, a very simple gear mechanism and well tested reliable technology.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hub gears should be possible on something pretty upright - it's a very Dutch sort of style.

I'd agree, better to let her have some input - a surprise is nice, but she might like the chance to be involved.

You could always make up a fancy 'voucher' in Word and print it out....

Are these too twee? I've heard lots of teenage girls opine that they are 'dead cool'.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=1984

There are some quite upright 'Dutch' looking ones there. Although they don't have racks, which I think is a pretty useful thing to have.

Top Bottom