Please help me choose a bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Djohariah

Hello all,

I'm soon to move offices (fortuneatly nearer to where I live and within cycling distance) and I have decided to ditch 4 wheels for 2. I'm not "new" to cycling as I did it as a kid, but last month was my first bike ride for about 5 years. It took a bit of getting used to again but I've been out and about on three, 8 mile rides since and it's all coming back to me. I've loved it.

However, the bike I've been riding is my dads old mountain bike. Rusty, old and sqweaky despite me giving it a good oil. It's functional but antiquated. I want and need something of my own that will be able to cope with a 9 mile commute to work, 6 days a week on varying terrain.

Yesterday, I got up early and did the commute to gauge distance, time and how "bike friendly" it is. Most of the commute is on a designated cycle track, but it is hilly and the very first "track" is in a rural setting so it's not the smooth tarmac of the city. Bumpy with holes in the tarmac. Not ideal. The last mile of the commute is on the road.

For the vast majority of the ride, I'd say a touring bike is perfect. But I worry about buying one because of the difficult track at the start, and because of the hills. Ideally I'd have a mountain bike for the first 2 miles, and a touring bike for the rest of the trip!

I spent all of yesterday afternoon and much of this morning researching all options available. Last night I liked the look of a folding bike, but I've gone off it this morning. The added independence they will give sounds great, as well as the ability to carry it into the office as well as shops and pubs. However, I'm not going to be hopping onto a train or bus mid commute. I also worry that it would only be suitable for flat, smooth tarmac.

A "hybrid" bike could be perfect, but I have no idea which to choose. My budget is £300 for the bike alone but I would spend a bit more for a noticeable increase in quality. I've been onto the Halfords website but something about their bikes don't sit well with me. The "Carrera" range gets great reviews on their site, but as they're Halfords own brand, I'm concerned that they are poor quality.

Any help, or suggestions will be appreciated. It's a big purchase for me so I want to get it right. The most important thing is that the bike is fun to ride, as I will be using it a lot.

By the way, I'm a 6 foot 1 male.

Cheers!

Hello all,

I'm soon to move offices (fortuneatly nearer to where I live and within cycling distance) and I have decided to ditch 4 wheels for 2. I'm not "new" to cycling as I did it as a kid, but last month was my first bike ride for about 5 years. It took a bit of getting used to again but I've been out and about on three, 8 mile rides since and it's all coming back to me. I've loved it.

However, the bike I've been riding is my dads old mountain bike. Rusty, old and sqweaky despite me giving it a good oil. It's functional but antiquated. I want and need something of my own that will be able to cope with a 9 mile commute to work, 6 days a week on varying terrain.

Yesterday, I got up early and did the commute to gauge distance, time and how "bike friendly" it is. Most of the commute is on a designated cycle track, but it is hilly and the very first "track" is in a rural setting so it's not the smooth tarmac of the city. Bumpy with holes in the tarmac. Not ideal. The last mile of the commute is on the road.

For the vast majority of the ride, I'd say a touring bike is perfect. But I worry about buying one because of the difficult track at the start, and because of the hills. Ideally I'd have a mountain bike for the first 2 miles, and a touring bike for the rest of the trip!

I spent all of yesterday afternoon and much of this morning researching all options available. Last night I liked the look of a folding bike, but I've gone off it this morning. The added independence they will give sounds great, as well as the ability to carry it into the office as well as shops and pubs. However, I'm not going to be hopping onto a train or bus mid commute. I also worry that it would only be suitable for flat, smooth tarmac.

A "hybrid" bike could be perfect, but I have no idea which to choose. My budget is £300 for the bike alone but I would spend a bit more for a noticeable increase in quality. I've been onto the Halfords website but something about their bikes don't sit well with me. The "Carrera" range gets great reviews on their site, but as they're Halfords own brand, I'm concerned that they are poor quality.

Any help, or suggestions will be appreciated. It's a big purchase for me so I want to get it right. The most important thing is that the bike is fun to ride, as I will be using it a lot.

By the way, I'm a 6 foot 1 male.

Cheers!
If you 're OK with drop handle bars and could spend around £500 i think a cyclo cross bike could suit your needs. Plenty have them on this forum and seem happy with them.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I used a carrera subway for my commute when i 1st started back into cycling, bombproof and it has mounting points for rack/mudguards.
Fitted slick tyres to mine and it fairly flew.

OP
OP
Djohariah

Djohariah

The Carrera does look compatible with my needs. At £200 it's a perfect price too. Do you have any thoughts on folding Carrera's?

Despite it being for a commute, speed isn't essential to me. I made it down to the office yesterday in 35 minutes at a relaitively leisurely pace.

A cyclocross bike looks a bit out of my price range but thanks for your thoughts.

sidevalve

Über Member
I've tried 2 carerra's and there seems to be two types, the cheaper ones arn't much improved on the apollo range the upper price range are quite good machines and Halfords are ALWAYS doing offers. Don't mess around with suspension and check out the weight, remember you have to push it.

OP
OP
Djohariah

Djohariah

I've tried 2 carerra's and there seems to be two types, the cheaper ones arn't much improved on the apollo range the upper price range are quite good machines and Halfords are ALWAYS doing offers. Don't mess around with suspension and check out the weight, remember you have to push it.

What do you mean by "Don't mess around with suspension"?

compo

Veteran
I suspect that Sidevalve meant that at your budget don't buy a bike with suspension as it will be heavy and of little use.

I see halfords are advertising the Carrera Subway Limited Edition for £199 at the moment.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think that unless you need the functionality of a folder for space or the need to carry it on public transport they are best avoided as they tend to be heavier than a bike of similar price.
Suspension on cheap bikes also tends to be heavy on lower end machines,suck your power and unless your going seriously off road the tyres will give you enough comfort .saw the MTB world championships and some top guys only had front suspension even though they were going up and down rock strewn tracks.

lulubel

Über Member

You'd be surprised at what bikes can handle. At the last place we lived, I rode my road bike with 25mm skinny tyres along a "road" that was definitely bumpy with holes in the tarmac and no tarmac at all in a lot of places, every day, for a mile or so just to get to and from my house. I didn't get any punctures, and my wheels were fine, but I did take it carefully.

That said, for commuting, you probably don't want a bike that you need to nurse over the rough spots, so the Carrera Subway looks like a good option. You definitely won't need suspension of any kind. You might feel like you do at first, but as you get fitter and start taking more weight on your legs, you'll feel the bumps and vibration less.

OP
OP
Djohariah

Djohariah

You might feel like you do at first, but as you get fitter and start taking more weight on your legs, you'll feel the bumps and vibration less.

The bike I've been riding does not have suspension and it has got easier every ride so you're spot on there!

I'm in no rush to buy, but the Carrera Subway seems to be the most suitable. Please keep suggestions coming though

vickster

Legendary Member
Second hand Trek 7.3 ? Normally I'd suggest a Specialized Sirrus but it more a road bike that for rugged stuff (although it copes admirably on London roads which are pretty rugged) - Treks are a bit more 'hybrid' than fast road

Bigsharn

Veteran
Depending EXACTLY how bad the surfaces are, I'd be tempted by an MTB with Schwalbe Marathon Plus (or Furious Fred) tyres. The mountain bike gearing and wide wheels would be perfect for hills and comfort, but doing it that way round would mean sacrificing speed, and I'm out of touch with MTBs, so no recommendations there

If there's an alternative to the dodgy bit of cycle track I'd suggest getting a cheapish road bike and sticking to the roads, but again, local knowledge plays a massive part in this

Top Bottom