Please help - Which Boardman Frame is this? (and which BB?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kieron

Hi All,

Another newbie throwing himself headfirst into building a bike here... so this is probably question 1 of 756 to follow!!!!

SO... Which boardman frame is this? I know boardman started in 2007... but no idea what year or particular model this is? (forks are not carbon so not too recent plus its a little dinged up)

and what bottom bracket is it? am i right in saying i need the exact crankset to match? and does there need to be something between the edge of the BB and the crankset? like a plastic spacer?

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0092009/photos/83193114@N07/

Cheers all!

OP
OP
Kieron

Kieron

It had a (rusty) sram rear gear changer and it has ritchey handlebars.

OP
OP
Kieron

Kieron

7620825868_58619f10c3_b_d.jpg
7620826176_e86fc3a94f_b_d.jpg

OP
OP
Kieron

Kieron

Yeah it's a 54cm frame, aren't there different versions? Ie MTB / road / hybrid. I'm assuming it's a hybrid.

Is there anyway I can work out which year and what the original spec would have been?

The flattened top tube gives it a look of a cyclocross frame... Unless someone's going to correct me and tell me all the Boardman frames are that shape? The forks are wrong for a 2011 Cx Team though, as they would be carbon and those look alu. Were the earlier CX Teams alu forks?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It's a(n educated) guess but it look a boardman team hybrid from 2010. Bear in mind Boardman model years are 18 month long. Disc tabs on the frame and forks I think.

Original spec would have been more or less like this, I think.

Braking Avid juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes, 160mm rotors
Pedals Alloy body, steel cage, toe clips and straps
Gearing Front Shimano R440
Back SRAMX7
Shifters SRAM X5 9 SPEEDC
Chain Shimano HG-73
General
Handlebars Ritchey Flat OS 31.mm
Headset Semi integrated cartridge bearing
Headset spacers Full carbon 4x5mm, 1x10mm
Rigid forks Lightweight carbon fibre with Cro-mo steerer
Saddle cboardman, Cro-Mo rails
Seat post Ritchey 27.2mm
Stem Ritchey OS 31.8mm
Weight 22.3lbs
Wheels
Hubs Sealed bearings
Rims lightweight disc specific
Spokes Stainless steel double butted black
Tyres Maxxis Detonator 700x28c
Wheel size 700c

If rebuilding there is little point trying to go back to original spec, just fit what fits!

OP
OP
Kieron

Kieron

Greg! You are a diamond! Thank you!

Not planning on rebuilding original (not enough budget for a start) but due to my lack of knowledge it'll Leo me to put it together.

The bottom bracket is the only bit bugging me as its not showing any branding. Think I need a particular crankset to fit?

I'd rather not have to buy all the kit to remove it etc but if I must....

I'm thinking a 39/53 front with a 7/8 speed cassette maybe a 11/34 or similar

I was going to try and get a sram x7 for the back.

I was thinking of putting in dual pivot brakes instead of discs.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Why a 39/53 front? If you really needed that size I don't think you'd be on here asking these questions. For an amateur rider the modern 50/34 compact give the ideal gearing, especially combined with an 11-27 cassette, which will probably be a 9 or 10 speed for that bike.

The front fork looks like a disc-only version to me.

TBH you've set yourself up for a bit of a nightmare here; if your knowledge of what works with what is limited you're better off selling this and buying something ready-built off the shelf, which will get you on the road fast and free of hassle. Have a look at Decathlon's Triban bikes, they are really excellent value for money and superbly specced for the price.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Can't swear, as I can't make much sense of my three year old research spreadsheet, that it might have had a Truvativ Touro compact 50x36T chainset or similar originally.

OP
OP
Kieron

Kieron

Re: 53/39 , my legs are all power and no endurance (no high cadence for me) so that kind of ratio made sense to me!?!

Not bought much yet..., but I'd really like to do this as a project. I learn quick!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
That makes no sense. Regardless of your "make up", cycling (at least in most cases/events, i.e. unless you are riding in a match sprint on the track) is an endurance sport/activity, whether you tend toward being a "grinder" or a "spinner".

If your weakness is endurance/sustained power output, then might not want to equip running gear which will make you work harder than you need to by having a large range of ratio's within a range that requires more SUSTAINED power to maintain the same speed because you will just end up knackered and dropping into the granny ring and big cog regardless.

I am not saying you shouldn't go for the ratio's you think are correct, just trying to give you another way of looking at this.

I run 3 different bikes with 3 setups, one with a compact, one with a 52/38T chainring and one with a 85" (48T chainring, 15T cog) fixed wheel. Unsure of the cassette's on the geared bikes atm. I wouldn't say any are better than the other, but the compact was definitely a benefit when I bought it.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I have the Comp which is the next version down from this and it was fitted with a Truvative Powerspline Bottom Bracket, a 50/36 double up front and a 9 speed 11-32 SRAM cassette when new.

The only difference seems to be that the Comp has aluminium forks & mechanical discs while the Team has carbon forks & hydraulic discs so the Powerspline BB may be worth a try.

Top Bottom