Please recommend me some tyres ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
Not sure if I am in the right section...

but I have recently purchased a Giant Avail and I aksed the shop to put good quality puncture resistant tyres onto it.

I don't know what they have put on it but they are white wall tyres with no grip WHATSOEVER!

I have been cycle commuting every day for nearly 11 years and before that was a very keen cyclist and used to ride to school every day - I have always ridden road/racer type bikes with skinny tyres before but these ones... I've fallen off a few times since I have had it!

The slightest turn and they skid out from under me - it is making me really REALLY nervous about cycling on the thing!

Can anyone recommend me something nice and grippy but also puncture resistant?

Thanks in anticipation of no more grazed knees!!!! :smile:

Cubist

Still wavin'
spokey-joe-stabilisers-easy-fit-22556.jpg
icon_twisted.gif

OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
Cheeky!

I never fell off on my old bike!!!

I think that I had armadillos on that one. I had definately upgraded them to puncture resistant. I have bought so many tyres recently that I forget (had a lot of bikes stolen)!

I think it the price you pay for p'ture protection, my old nimbus armadillo (circa 2007) was pretty bomb proof but I didn't like the way it handled in the wet. I ended up using it on the rear, where at least I could control it. My own preference is to use conti tyres now and they have for me at least, a good record grip and p'ture wise. However, I've never used their hardest wearing tyre the gatorskins, some say they are also skittish and yet others say they are fine :wacko:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Bontrager racelite hardcases are Ok. I have them on my Boardman (25mm) and so far have not had any grip problems, nor any other "air free incidents"

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Not sure if I am in the right section...

but I have recently purchased a Giant Avail and I aksed the shop to put good quality puncture resistant tyres onto it.

I don't know what they have put on it but they are white wall tyres with no grip WHATSOEVER!

It's possible they may need some wearing in before they start to grip as they should. However it sounds as though your fed up, and in that case I'd recommend Conti 4 seasons. Grippy and appear to be puncture resistant.

BSRU

A Human Being
It's possible they may need some wearing in before they start to grip as they should. However it sounds as though your fed up, and in that case I'd recommend Conti 4 seasons. Grippy and appear to be puncture resistant.

+1 on the 4 seasons, mine have survived 2000 miles so far and even last week survived being ridden through the same broken glass twice.

lejogger

Guru
+1 on the 4 seasons, mine have survived 2000 miles so far and even last week survived being ridden through the same broken glass twice.

Swapped over my Schwalbe Marathon for Conti GP 4 Seasons at the weekend. Went on a 90 mile club ride and got my first club puncture! Two very sharp thorns straight through.

They're much faster and lighter than the Schwalbe obviously, but it doesn't seem the puncture protection is as good. Nothing got through those Schwalbe.

So 1600 miles on the Schwalbe Marathon. 1 pinch puncture going over a MASSIVELY sunken grid.
130 miles on the GP 4 Seasons. 1 puncture, but 2 thorns. Obviously it's impossible to tell until I've done similar miles on the Contis, but if you're after puncture protection and not too bothered about a little extra weight then look at the Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

IIRC I got 4500miles out of my last 4season rear and the front which got transferred to the rear and replaced it got almost twice that, both tyres were almost p'ture free until that and then got a spate (once every 2nd ride). IMO they are good grippy, relatively p free tyres, the only downside for me is the cost. My current rear a cheap wired conti grand prix is 10,734 miles old (but more than half of that was as a front tyre) and touchwood its only had 1 p'ture. The 22mm front (also a wired conti grand prix) has suffered a bit more with pinch p'tures (Its had 2 in 2500miles and is a replacement for one which failed after just 400 miles).

VamP

Banned
and not too bothered about a little extra weight then look at the Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

Erm, a little...

If I put these puppies on my bike, they would add 550g. That's a 6.5% increase in the weight of my bike!!! And on the rims, where it makes the most difference! :ohmy:

No thank you.

@OP - it would help if we knew what the LBS fitted. Maybe they are still coated in releasing agent? That makes all tyres slippery as hell for the first hundred miles or so. Especially in the cold and wet.

Top Bottom