Plod blowing whistles at cyclists in Cambridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

Story here:
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/cn_news_home/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=354271

I'm in two minds about it... I've seen the copper in this story out on the streets, stopping cyclists who were going the wrong way down one way streets, he was doing it last year, I've seen them do it every year, for about a fortnight or so in October. And it has f**k all impact; the same cyclists go back to riding the same way once this annual publicity stunt is over.

Seems to me that they have to make an effort once a year, and said effort is coming. I await, with baited breath, my semi-annual run-in with a copper asking me (in broad daylight) where my lights are, or telling me to dismount and push when I'm going down a street that is actually two way for cyclists and he hasn't worked that out before stopping me...

I dunno, if it wasn't for the complete apathy shown by local plod when confronted with motorists breaking the laws then I could see that they have a point (got evidence on video of someone endangering you with their car? Take it to Cambridgeshire Constabulary, they could do with a laugh). But as it is, I'm just bored with these pointless blitzes, aimed at nothing more than gaining publicity.

dondare

Über Member
They're just trying to educate the new students. As we all know, that's a waste of time. Educating students? What an absurd concept.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cops don't bother with that in Manchester - but do loads of security related stuff/events, as there must be loads of bikes going 'walkies'

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
They could spend a productive afternoon having words with a few bus drivers, imho.

But yes, as fossy says, up here the emphasis is more on theft prevention and recovery of bicycles.

Top Bottom