Police traced me after I posted stolen bike on here!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyingfox

Brilliant news, I had a phone call from a Sgt at Islington police station to say that they had my bike.

He said he has a 'thing' about stolen bikes and when he saw my bike in their yard decided to check out the bike forums. He saw my earlier post and then found me via my police report. Apparently he reunited another owner to their bike this morning as well!

Not sure when I will get it back as it is currently classed as 'evidence', but fingers crossed it will be soon.

So for any others out there who have had their bike stolen, there is a chance you could get it back if you post a good description on here and file a police report. :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
excellent news.

aberal

Veteran
Bloody brilliant! I had a bike stolen 35 years ago when I was 17 and I've never forgotten about it. Some people will never understand the heartache such things cause.

Good on Sgt at Islington police station - what's his name. He should be celebrated.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
I had to watch a teenage thief walk off with my sons bike because I had neglected to write the frame details down
blush.gif
He later ditched it when the police did actually move in the little shoot!
Got my own back though. I used to referee in a street soccer league and when he turned up to play I introduced him to all and sundry as Louie the local bike thief. It didn't get the bike back but made it rather uncomfortable for him for a short while
biggrin.gif

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
A friend of mine had a call from the police saying "We've got your bike back." He didn't even realise it'd been stolen from the shed!

The copper, who was looking for a runaway was checking out a few houses and noticed a Clockwork Orange in one. Knowing the bike was way out of the resident's price range, the copper got suspicious and checked to see if it had been reported stolen. It hadn't, but it had been post coded and was on their register, so the rightful owner was easily traced.

Number14

Veteran
The sgt at Islington shouldn't have had to check the cycling forums to see if it was nicked.

The police have access to several property websites including immobilise, bikeregister, datatag to name a few. These would have been checked as part of booking the bike into the station.

If bike owners can't be bothered to register their pride and joy on a police accessible database, then don't complain that the police don't do their job. Owners have a resposibility to ensure that their property is identifiable and traceable.

When I was little and I got a new bike the 1st trip with mum was to the Police Station where the bobby stamped our postcode on the frame.

What's the modern equivalent of that? I presume an ali frame can't be stamped the same way?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Brilliant news, I had a phone call from a Sgt at Islington police station to say that they had my bike.

He said he has a 'thing' about stolen bikes and when he saw my bike in their yard decided to check out the bike forums. He saw my earlier post and then found me via my police report. Apparently he reunited another owner to their bike this morning as well!

Not sure when I will get it back as it is currently classed as 'evidence', but fingers crossed it will be soon.

So for any others out there who have had their bike stolen, there is a chance you could get it back if you post a good description on here and file a police report. :smile:

That is great news. Always good when a police officer takes an extra interest in something like that.

Top Bottom