Poll - how often do you service your bike?

What's your full service frequency?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My last new thread triggered a rare train of thought in my otherwise vacuous head - - - how often do others service their bikes.

When I say service, I mean a walk, chain de-grease, regrease/oil drive-train, even clean and re-grease hubs and bearing where not sealed.
This is as well as readjust cables and tune up the indexing etc?

Personally, about monthly unless some serious miles planned or more frequent for basic clean and oil up.
I only do the bearing and cable adjustment about quarterly.

HovR

Über Member
Drive chain generally gets cleaned weekly - after the drive chain is cleaned I'll take a brief look over the bike for any prominent issues. Generally speaking the bikes get a proper look over fortnightly.

Any non urgent issues discovered in riding will be fixed after the weekly chain clean (brake adjustment etc). Any urgent issues discovered in riding will be fixed the same day, else I stop using the bike until I get it fixed.

Hubs come apart every 1000 to 2000 miles, depending on weather and other factors, for a re grease.

I try to stick to this routine.. Doesn't always happen! :tongue:

gavintc

Guru
The weather in italy is much kinder and the bike needs less maintenance here than in UK. I find that I only need to give it good going over about once a month. In UK, I was doing this weekly. Water, especially diluted road muck seems to get into everything in UK demanding much more attention. Warmish weather and much less drizzle type rain means that I am cycling in dryer conditions. But, when it rains here - it rains - making it almost impossible to cycle and I have become a fair weather cyclist.

D

Deleted member 1258

I never do a full service, the fixed is normally in daily use and gets checked over once a week, if I find something that needs doing I'll do it there and then, if I cant do it there and then I'll do it as soon as possible. The geared bike usually gets used on summer Sundays only and will be checked before it gets put away and I'll get anything done that needs doing.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I Mickle the chain when it looks like it needs it, tweak the indexing as required, change the cables when and if I think of it, clean it when it's filthy, etc. The only thing I regularly check are the brake blocks.
Only time I'll give it a full service is if I'm off on a trip, and even then I might not bother if nothing's actually wrong. I am pretty confident in my ability to fix anything by the side of the road if I have to though.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Depends.

'cross bike: quite often. Parts often get replaced or fail.

TT bike: rarely, apart from cleaning and a checkover/ lube from time to time. Hardly use the brakes on it so it's still on the same blocks that were on it when I bought it in 2008 or something.

Commute bike: when it needs it, which is fairly frequently- although I tend to do a big service before the winter and another in the spring.

Part time cyclist

Über Member
Same as every one else if it ain't broke don't fix it.... I give it a regular clean up and oil the chain up regularly but just fiddle and fettle when it's needed...

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Probably not as often as I should but I try to re-grease bearings once a year. I look at sorting out problems as and when the show and look into creaks and other noises. I check tyres before and after rides for damage or flints/thorns. Chain gets checked from time to time, again not as often as I feel I should.

Jonathing

Über Member
Things get adjusted as they need it, the drive train get cleaned when I remember to do it and major works get undertaken when the LBS has a discount on workshop services.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
I keep the chain mickled after most rides and twiddle what ever is necessary as needed, with a good overall clean and polish at least twice a week.
An annual service in LBS for a good stripping and greasing will be the way to go for me (for now anyway)^_^

Top Bottom