Poll: money or clapping to reward overworked healthcare staff?

You’re an overworked NHS worker: would you prefer claps of gratitude or an above inflation pay rise?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Is this poll just advisory?

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Maybe just leave us to get on with our jobs? Not everyone in the NHS is a bloody hero or indeed overworked and loads don't deserve a pay increase or bonus.

I personally know lots of people in the NHS who have worked from home since March last year, and posted those bloody images on Facebook saying 'Stay at home, because I work in the NHS and can't'.

And yes, I am an overworked in my job. We haven't seen our administrator for 7 months and we do our own admin. She is doing about 1 hour of work a day, and has no idea what is going on, she also refused a work mobile because she found it too intrusive at home :wacko:

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
SWMBO would prefer people to observe the guidance rather than play 'look at me' clapping.

And she hasn't had a pay rise despite working on a Covid ward all hours, including many unpaid hours as there isn't money in the budget.
We weren't due a payrise, we won't get a payrise just for working with C+ patients, that is not unusual.

She needs to raise that overtime issue though. There is a special C+ budget for use during the pandemic. Even at the higher grades who don't normally get overtime the overtime payments allowance has kicked in for us. If her overtime was entirely due to being required to work over due to C+ then the money is there, if she just stayed on, then she should have gone home or agreed the payments would be in place. If her manager says there is no money, then the manager needs to look into it or she is being lied to.

OP
N

NeverFromConcentrate

Gosh, I think you must be the first I’ve come across to defend years of below inflation pay rises for some of our most hard working frontline workers. Anyway, I shall leave you to just get on with your job. Do feel free to ignore this ridiculous poll :scratch:

Buck

Guru
As above. Clapping is a gesture of solidarity but adds no real value and even in the summer became a bit of a “better do this otherwise the neighbours will th8nk I’m a selfish uncaring ar5e”

I’d rather we celebrated in the future with some memorial or tribute, even a national bank holiday. As a one off - whilst money is important, actually having some self-time is crucial for people and their mental well-being.

I’m not sure we in the NHS ‘deserve’ a pay rise per se because of Covid. So many have done their duty in these times because of their mindset and see it as a vocation, lots of those in the NHS are lower paid so it should be more about reviewing this and paying the true value of their roles and contribution and not a Covid premium.

classic33

Legendary Member
As above. Clapping is a gesture of solidarity but adds no real value and even in the summer became a bit of a “better do this otherwise the neighbours will th8nk I’m a selfish uncaring ar5e”

I’d rather we celebrated in the future with some memorial or tribute, even a national bank holiday. As a one off - whilst money is important, actually having some self-time is crucial for people and their mental well-being.

I’m not sure we in the NHS ‘deserve’ a pay rise per se because of Covid. So many have done their duty in these times because of their mindset and see it as a vocation, lots of those in the NHS are lower paid so it should be more about reviewing this and paying the true value of their roles and contribution and not a Covid premium.
Last year, I saw more staff doing double shifts. Whether they got that time back later in the week I don't know.

How many other jobs would that be expected to be the normal?

Buck

Guru
Last year, I saw more staff doing double shifts. Whether they got that time back later in the week I don't know.

How many other jobs would that be expected to be the normal?
Double shifts are not a new thing and would/should have been paid but potentially at not a great rate of pay to start with which is my point Alongside the fact they wouldn’t just leave if they were short staffed (more so than normal due to higher demand and colleagues unable to work) as it’s not in their ethos.

Regardless, is clapping what they want? In the main, no. They want everyone to comply with the “rules” and help us get this thing under control.

classic33

Legendary Member
Double shifts are not a new thing and would/should have been paid but potentially at not a great rate of pay to start with which is my point Alongside the fact they wouldn’t just leave if they were short staffed (more so than normal due to higher demand and colleagues unable to work) as it’s not in their ethos.

Regardless, is clapping what they want? In the main, no. They want everyone to comply with the “rules” and help us get this thing under control.
A better way to have worded it would have been to say I saw more volunteering, when asked if they'd be able to/mind doing a double shift.

They never seemed to have anything else planned. But that was never seen by the majority of the public.

Maybe there'll be a bit more respect shown to those trying to help you, once this quietens down. No more staff being treated in their own A&E's whilst at work.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Gosh, I think you must be the first I’ve come across to defend years of below inflation pay rises for some of our most hard working frontline workers. Anyway, I shall leave you to just get on with your job. Do feel free to ignore this ridiculous poll :scratch:
I am not defending the poor pay awards we have consistently received over the years, and it isn't just the current government, I have been screwed over and messed about by Labour for a third of my career!

It's about the way that every single person in the NHS is now a national hero, well no we aren't. Most of us are just getting on with it, it's crap and really hard work, but that doesn't mean we should all get a pay rise just for looking after C19 patients. Of course that means that those who aren't looking after C19 patients don't get a pay rise, and how many C19 patients do we have to look after to qualify.........

As Buck says, follow the rules and let us do our thing, and if you get a vaccine appointment, bloody well turn up or tell us you aren't coming :angry:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It isn't only about healthcare workers. This pandemic has exposed to one and all the deep economic divisions which exist in this country. Divisions driven mainly by our desire to have everything at as low a price as possible. We need to learn the value of people and the goods and services they produce/offer as a part of their employment.

It's all very well calling for higher pay for healthcare workers but there are millions who are equally deserving. The difficulty is as a society we are not prepared to pay the true value for goods, services and public services (higher taxation).

As for last night's clap? An empty publicity stunt. Who thought this one up?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom