Poll: Would you commute on a...

Would you commute on a fixie without brakes through London?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wouldn't commute on anything, anywhere without brakes. It's f*cking madness to do that.

Bikes (both motorised and pedal powered) need 2 separate braking systems - that's why you can't have 1 lever operating both brakes.

I rode a trike for some 15 years set up like that!

The "second system" was a parking brake, which I never used whilst in motion.

Please! This is a family forum.

I stand corrected!

[QUOTE 1960701, member: 9609"]I take it a fixie does not have a freewheeling hub? If that is the case then on downhill bits you must have to lift your legs up and let the pedals spin - So to my question, how do you get your feet back onto the pedals?

It does seem to me to be a bewilderingly stupid design - what are the plus points[/quote]

Tee hee!

Your feet is stuck on by the cleats in your shoes or (if you is old-fashioned) by the straps and stuff attahed to your pedals.

You can ride fixed on flat pedals, but you need a sense of humour and it is best not to descend at speed.

The plus points is there, but they is a secret known only to the few and if you don't know them that is because you lack the faith.

Bikes (both motorised and pedal powered) need 2 separate braking systems - that's why you can't have 1 lever operating both brakes.

Messrs. Moto Guzzi of Italy might beg to differ.

For years I rode various Guzzis whose brake pedal operated a single front and a single rear disc. Outside track racing, it was the best braking system I've ever encountered on a bike.

But I still wouldn't ride a fixopholous fixie without a rear brake.

D

Deleted member 1258

[QUOTE 1960701, member: 9609"]I take it a fixie does not have a freewheeling hub? If that is the case then on downhill bits you must have to lift your legs up and let the pedals spin - So to my question, how do you get your feet back onto the pedals?

It does seem to me to be a bewilderingly stupid design - what are the plus points[/quote]

No you have to learn to spin the pedals, I have a descent on my way to work, and one on my way home, where I can hit a speed around 30 mph, on my 65 inch gear and 165 cranks I'm hitting 150-160 rpm.

[QUOTE 1960786, member: 1314"]Bet he's got mudguards as well. Beyond evil. Or help.[/quote]

I have both mudguards and a rear carrier on mine.

http://www.cyclechat.net/useralbums/daves-bikes.11/view

sabian92

Über Member
Messrs. Moto Guzzi of Italy might beg to differ.

For years I rode various Guzzis whose brake pedal operated a single front and a single rear disc. Outside track racing, it was the best braking system I've ever encountered on a bike.

But I still wouldn't ride a fixopholous fixie without a rear brake.

Odd, I thought it was both. Must have misread it then.

My mistake.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
What do the CTC claim to be unlawful?

I was thinking the same thing, lol

No you don't lift your legs off, you learn to ride with a high cadence and descend that way. It is a design that was around before freewheeling bikes and considering that it is still relevant today, given the technology advances, it would appear that it is far from a stupid design.

The plus points are numerous and vary depending on the context in which you ride. The shortfalls are also numerous.

But at the end of the day, riding a fixed gear bike is something you need try to decide because if you like it, you will be enjoying yourself enough that the shortfalls wont matter, if you don't like the feeling, then the benefits wont matter because you will be hating riding the thing.

IMO, it's one of things you have to do rather than talk/read about. Especially since people are quite polarised about this, some will come out with all this romanticised zen bullshit, others will says its an old out of date technology and is obsolete. For me, I just like riding a fixed gear bike, I just enjoy the ride quality of it (I also own two geared bikes btw, and I like those too, but I prefer to take the fixed gear).

Reactions: gaz

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fixed is great for all weather commuting - less stuff to maintain. It's also very good training.

Reactions: gaz

biking_fox

Guru
Many of the "fixie" bikes you see around are actually single speeds with a freehub. These obviously do require a rear brake.
True fixedwheel bikes do not have a freehub as above, and can indeed have to be leg braked. It's easy enough to spot the difference - watch the SS freewheel upto the traffic lights, and be unable to pedal backwards or trackstand. cf a a fixie.

I've ridden fixed on a track and it is great fun. I'd consider commuting on it, IF I'd had enough track experience to consider myself fit enough to do it.

Drago

Legendary Member
OK, done some digging but the answer is not clear cut...

In order to be a braking mechanism, it must be just that - a mechanism who's purpose is intended to brake the vehicle, not merely a drive mechanism by which it may be also possible to brake. I can find no case law where anyone has successfully argued otherwise.

Conversely, I can find no case law at all on the topic from any angle, so very few, if indeed any at all, have been through the courts for this.

If I came across such a rider, and they appeared to be in proper control, I'd apply the common sense rule and let them get on with it. Nevertheless, that's only my own personal approach so best to look at your feet and look contrite if some young hot-dog with shiny boots stops you.

Top Bottom