Posh drivers are better - why ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
My commute through Stourbridge, very working class, older cars generally is a nightmare. Rude, aggressive shouty drivers everywhere. I live there and love the place, but it's not a great place to cycle around.

My commute through the lanes of the affluent villages around Solihull (other end of the train journey) is a pleasure, BMWs, Audis, 4x4s everywhere, the majority very courteous and patient.

Why would that be ? Is it a question of intelligence? ie generally higher level in a more affluent area, or is that too simple?

Or could it be that more Solihull residents are leisure cyclists (it's not the cheapest sport in the world).

No idea what it is but i wish i could afford to live there.

Decani

Perhaps, they don't want scratches on their expensive cars.

Bigtwin

Posh people are better bred, more intelligent, better individuals. With amazing sexual and sporting prowess. Most poor people can barely follow a polo match, and have scant understanding of fives. Some apparently even buy their own furniture and "ready meals", and wear sports attire when the XV is not playing.

I have elected not to use my title in this thread for the purposes of modesty.

janm399

Veteran
I don't know whether class has anything to do with driving, but my experience from Cheshire is that, for example, the nouveau riche in Alderly Edge (footballers et al) drive like complete idiots*, while the drivers from the less vulgar part of Alderly Edge are really nice*.

* Usually, not always!

Could it be village vs town mentality?

I'm not familiar with the two areas, but could it be that the "nicer" area is more smaller communities and so the people there are more community spirited than on a big(ger) housing estate?

I only ask because - as I posted in another thread not a few minutes ago - both of the estates I cross on my commute are a real pest* compared to the little villagey bit. And the higher rent one is worse than the lower rent one: it's all bankers in their exec saloons trying to shave a few seconds off their PB to / from the station. And they do NOT like some prole that can only afford a bicycle slowing them down.

* they'd probably all seem quite relaxing compared to some of the commutes posted on here, but there's a noticeable difference between certain areas. It's all relative.

Edit; Just seen jamm339's post. The posher estate is definitely nouveau riche.

gemsno4

It is strange you have found that I find drivers in Solihull (when I am driving not cycling) to be some of the most rude and agressive and avoid cycling there for that reason. Maybe they are nicer to cyclists.

I always think of Solihull as very noveau riche if we can work out a pattern here!

Ben M

It's because common people are generally horrible and angry.

OP
OP
upsidedown

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
gemsno4 said:
It is strange you have found that I find drivers in Solihull (when I am driving not cycling) to be some of the most rude and agressive and avoid cycling there for that reason. Maybe they are nicer to cyclists.

I always think of Solihull as very noveau riche if we can work out a pattern here!

Not really Solihull, more Dorridge, Earlswood, Tanworth and Ullenhall. I guess they are all 'old money' places, so probably older and more mature residents. I suppose old money has less to prove than 'considerably richer than yow' money, so maybe there's less aggression and insecurity.

Tynan

Veteran
In London at least I usually find that the more upmarket cars have the arrogant, careless and inconsiderate drivers

J4CKO

janm399 said:
I don't know whether class has anything to do with driving, but my experience from Cheshire is that, for example, the nouveau riche in Alderly Edge (footballers et al) drive like complete idiots*, while the drivers from the less vulgar part of Alderly Edge are really nice*.

* Usually, not always!

That is bang on, a rich Scrote in a Black Range Rover Sport is still a scrote even if a lottery win has enabled him to sell get rid of the old Mondeo with Duct Tape holding the bumpers on.

Not always the case but I would rather take my chances in a leafy suburb rather than a Salford Council Estate.

Partially I suppose its intelligence, or lack of, pack mentallity, no understanding why anyone would choose to not use a car...

mm101

I wonder if it boils down to people being unhappy and unsatisfied with their lot. I think the pace of life is pretty frantic and the quality of life not being great.

If you happy and content are you are less prone to unprovoked aggression?

I don't think it is got too much to do with posh and prole - it has a lot to do with manners and common courtesy. I've noticed that people seem less inclined to want to hold doors open for others now. And don't look behind them when walking through doors. I seriously think this is because people are scared of not getting a thankyou in most cases!!!

I think there has been a decline in manners and common courtesy in general and what we see on the roads is a manifestation of that.

Top Bottom