Prague in January

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I went there on a stag weekend 15 years ago. I don't think any of the recommendations I could make would be suitable. :eek:

Went on a stag do to Budapest two years ago - could recommend a few places as we were mainly old farts. We walked 22 miles over the 3 days...what's that about..... I think about 18 miles were when we were sozzled and no-one could actually follow google maps - we got a taxi back. We'd wandered miles the wrong way.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The hotel has a Deer restaurant attached.

Sounds expensive.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I
Pro-seam is Please
Pivo is beer
Cava is coffee
D'jiki is thank you

Not correct spellings but phonetic for ease of pronounciation.

........... It's expensive though but haggling used to be a thing there, so I guess it still is.

The only Czech I remember: (1) "Dva piva prossim" (two beers please) and (2) "Kde ye Hrad?" (Where is the castle?). That latter one was resolved by someone gently grabbing me by the shoulders and turning me around 180 degrees. It had been right behind me! Oddly, exactly the same thing happened to me in Verona, when I used pretty much my only Italian to ask "dov'e l'arena Romana?"

I went to Czechoslovakia as a teenager back in the days of the old Warsaw Pact. Back then it was only expensive in that they made you buy a considerable amount of their currency upon entry to the country, and it was illegal to take any of it back out with you when you left. We ended up dining in all the finest hotels to try to get rid of the money and avoid having to just give it back at the end. I have a feeling this was what they wanted, so that they could corall all the foreigners together and keep them under observation. There was almost nothing in the shops to buy, and what little you could find was ridiculously cheap. Tram fare anywhere in Prague was just 2p and it was about 20p for a half litre glass of wonderful local lager. How things change.

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
I would not go in January, no way, l would not get any pleasure walking around in (maybe) sub zero temps! I went to Rotterdam in January and went to the chip museum (€7).......twice, just to get warm, late spring for me, before the crowds turn up.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Did you book it?

My brothers just come back and loved it. He said the weather was not bad at all.

Yep,

All set for the 8th - 5 days/4 nights. Got an itinery sorted out. First night booked in The Deer restaurant and we plan on seeing how it goes - we have two places I'd like to eat, but we may do lunch as we aren't into eating 'late'. Castle, library near Charles bridge (apparently one of the worlds most beautiful, plus has an astronomical tower for views), gardens near the castle with the mini Eifel Tower..

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Hope you enjoy it. We drove to Prague, on a whim, whilst touring Germany. That was about 2004. Had a great time, although we did get pulled over for inadvertently breaking some motoring rule. Policeman was very friendly (although armed ), and fined us equivalent to £10, no receipt issued. ;)

Top Bottom