Pray for brave Tommy.

mudsticks

Über Member
This is what happens when the politicians abandon the centre ground and pitch to the extremes of the political spectrums.
But who is pitching to the extreme left?
I just dont see it.

(I'm not an extreme lefty myself - more of a green tinged centrist(

To me it all feels like we're making an almighty lurch to the populist right wing.

This odious cove is a symptom of, and poster boy, for all that.

Pandering to the frothing lowest common denominator.

What used to pass as centrist, seems now to be held up as dangerously subversive lefty liberal nonsense.

John Major is pretty much a libtard in many Conservatives eyes.

We seem to be going the way of the States..

Dark times, echo chambers, half truths, and misinformation.
No time for looking at the bigger picture, context, or in depth analysis, just knee jerk politics.

I thought the Internet might bring us a new enlightenment.

Feels like anything but.

Last edited:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
What frightens me about this is the level of support he's getting from people who are convinced he's in the right. I read the comments on stories like this in the Daily Heil (I refuse to contaminate my brain with anything to do with Murdoch's bogroll) to keep abreast of the current mood of the nation and it's scary. While I appreciate there's a certain amount of manipulation going on, the overwhelming number of positive green arrows approving this odious specimen and the number of red arrows on anything condemning him shows what a huge number of people really think. They prefer mob rule over the British courts of law and outrage over reasoning.
There's no question there's a lot of support for him and of course for his views, we all know this doesn't really have anything to do with paedophiles, but there's an enormous amount of manipulation going on and it's no surprise to find that a paper like The Mail would appear to be flooded with supportive comments which are then heavily liked, the bots have been busy. Twitter yesterday was overwhelmingly mocking #freetommy, this morning it's flipped entirely the other way. The fake accounts and factories have mobilised. I would rather that there weren't people like this man or his supporters in this country or anywhere else for that matter and it's troubling that we are in a situation currently where they feel so emboldened, but I remain confident that they are firmly in the minority. Take SYLs EU election performance as an example.

mudsticks

Über Member
If we are going to talk about him How's about we use his real name..

Oh, or does that sound simultaneously, a bit funny and foreign, but also quite posh cos it's double barrelled.

Can't think why he changed his name to a proper 'all day breakfast' style moniker, such as he did..

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
If we are going to talk about him How's about we use his real name..

Oh, or does that sound simultaneously, a bit funny and foreign, but also quite posh cos it's double barrelled.

Can't think why he changed his name to a proper 'all day breakfast' style moniker, such as he did..
A bit OT but...

Would folks on here agree that, for example, a trans person would be entitled to use a name chosen for their new gender (e.g. Chelsea Manning) rather than continually being referred to as 'Chelsea Manning (real name Bradley)' all the time.
Actors are normally referred to by their 'acting' name rather than their real name. e.g Michael Caine (I can't even remember what his real name is).

Why should it be different for Tommy Robinson, just because he's a shite of the highest order? Note that I am not supporting the little turd in any way, but this business of always referring to him as SYL etc seems odd - one rule for folks we like/tolerate, a different rule for the rest.

Now back to speculating whether they serve gammon and milkshakes in prison...

edit: not aimed at you, mudsticks, but a general question, as the SYL thing is common in the media.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
As an aside, I wonder why he picked that name? Given his attitude to LGBT and his racism.

The two men who come to mind when I first heard of Tommy Robinson were the unjustly executed negro* in To Kill a Mockingbird and Tom Robinson the gay singer/songwriter.

*using the term in the novel, it seems very odd to refer to a 'person of colour' in that context

I'm guessing he's never heard of them. I do hope someone, sometime, congratulates him for choosing such an inclusive alternative name.

SteveF

Veteran
A bit OT but...

Would folks on here agree that, for example, a trans person would be entitled to use a name chosen for their new gender (e.g. Chelsea Manning) rather than continually being referred to as 'Chelsea Manning (real name Bradley)' all the time.
Actors are normally referred to by their 'acting' name rather than their real name. e.g Michael Caine (I can't even remember what his real name is).

Why should it be different for Tommy Robinson, just because he's a shite of the highest order? Note that I am not supporting the little turd in any way, but this business of always referring to him as SYL etc seems odd - one rule for folks we like/tolerate, a different rule for the rest.

edit: not aimed at you, mudsticks, but a general question, as the SYL thing is common in the media.
Interesting one, lots of people don't use their birthnames so where would you draw the line? e.g.

Cassius Clay
Rolihlahla Mandela
‎Leslie Lynch King jr
William Jefferson Blythe III
Steveland Hardaway Judkins
Eric Arthur Blair

And many others..

SteveF

Veteran
As an aside, I wonder why he picked that name? Given his attitude to LGBT and his racism.

The two men who come to mind when I first heard of Tommy Robinson were the unjustly executed negro* in To Kill a Mockingbird and Tom Robinson the gay singer/songwriter.

*using the term in the novel, it seems very odd to refer to a 'person of colour' in that context

I'm guessing he's never heard of them. I do hope someone, sometime, congratulates him for choosing such an inclusive alternative name.
As far as I'm aware he picked up the name from an old Luton Town football hooligan, classy....

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Interesting one, lots of people don't use their birthnames so where would you draw the line? e.g.

Cassius Clay
Rolihlahla Mandela
‎Leslie Lynch King jr
William Jefferson Blythe III
Steveland Hardaway Judkins
Eric Arthur Blair

And many others..
Gideon Osborne to George Osborne. That’s a recent political example.

mudsticks

Über Member
A bit OT but...

I understand your point but he's not a transperson, nor is he an actor / or convert to a new religion as in the case of Cassius Clay .

Unless actually, he is pretending, and underneath it all he is a decent human being and this is some elaborate double bluff, by the progressives, to sucker the alt right into supporting him.

He then at an agreed moment rips off his t shirt to reveal on his chest a 'peace, love, and planetary justice for all' tattoo..

And goes

"Ta da!! See you idiots I've been a nice person all this time.. But you fell for the knuckle headed Daily Failisms every time"

OK this is turning into some kind of personal "Fantasy Friday"..

Better get back to the carrot hoeing :angel:

Top Bottom