Pray for brave Tommy.

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by Eddy, 11 Jul 2019.

1. Bonefish Blues

Bonefish Blues Banging donk

2. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

But who is pitching to the extreme left?
    I just dont see it.

(I'm not an extreme lefty myself - more of a green tinged centrist(

To me it all feels like we're making an almighty lurch to the populist right wing.

This odious cove is a symptom of, and poster boy, for all that.

Pandering to the frothing lowest common denominator.

What used to pass as centrist, seems now to be held up as dangerously subversive lefty liberal nonsense.

John Major is pretty much a libtard in many Conservatives eyes.

We seem to be going the way of the States..

Dark times, echo chambers, half truths, and misinformation.
    No time for looking at the bigger picture, context, or in depth analysis, just knee jerk politics.

I thought the Internet might bring us a new enlightenment.

Feels like anything but.

Last edited: 12 Jul 2019
  3. Dave Davenport

Dave Davenport Legendary Member

mickle likes this.
  4. Mugshot

Mugshot Cracking a solo.

There's no question there's a lot of support for him and of course for his views, we all know this doesn't really have anything to do with paedophiles, but there's an enormous amount of manipulation going on and it's no surprise to find that a paper like The Mail would appear to be flooded with supportive comments which are then heavily liked, the bots have been busy. Twitter yesterday was overwhelmingly mocking #freetommy, this morning it's flipped entirely the other way. The fake accounts and factories have mobilised. I would rather that there weren't people like this man or his supporters in this country or anywhere else for that matter and it's troubling that we are in a situation currently where they feel so emboldened, but I remain confident that they are firmly in the minority. Take SYLs EU election performance as an example.

perplexed, PaulB and C R like this.
  5. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

I know right.. He can curdle milkshake into cheese, under his own armpits.. Just by standing up, and mouth breathing..

Awesome.

Milkfloat likes this.
  6. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

don’t forget he stood for election as an MEP.
    He hand picked the constituency and came 8th.
    He has very little support but very vocal support

7. Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails We remember

And Tony Blair and Gordon Brown are just Tory-lite in many Labour eyes.

Polarisation causes problems from both ends of the political spectrum.

PaulB and raleighnut like this.
  8. Bonefish Blues

Bonefish Blues Banging donk

Beggars belief how people follow this nasty piece of work. I hadn't appreciated that fully until I read the article.

9. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

If we are going to talk about him How's about we use his real name..

Oh, or does that sound simultaneously, a bit funny and foreign, but also quite posh cos it's double barrelled.

Can't think why he changed his name to a proper 'all day breakfast' style moniker, such as he did..

10. Spinney

Spinney Bimbleur extraordinaire

A bit OT but...

Would folks on here agree that, for example, a trans person would be entitled to use a name chosen for their new gender (e.g. Chelsea Manning) rather than continually being referred to as 'Chelsea Manning (real name Bradley)' all the time.
    Actors are normally referred to by their 'acting' name rather than their real name. e.g Michael Caine (I can't even remember what his real name is).

Why should it be different for Tommy Robinson, just because he's a shite of the highest order? Note that I am not supporting the little turd in any way, but this business of always referring to him as SYL etc seems odd - one rule for folks we like/tolerate, a different rule for the rest.

Now back to speculating whether they serve gammon and milkshakes in prison...

edit: not aimed at you, mudsticks, but a general question, as the SYL thing is common in the media.

raleighnut, Mugshot and mudsticks like this.
  11. Spinney

Spinney Bimbleur extraordinaire

As an aside, I wonder why he picked that name? Given his attitude to LGBT and his racism.

The two men who come to mind when I first heard of Tommy Robinson were the unjustly executed negro* in To Kill a Mockingbird and Tom Robinson the gay singer/songwriter.

*using the term in the novel, it seems very odd to refer to a 'person of colour' in that context

I'm guessing he's never heard of them. I do hope someone, sometime, congratulates him for choosing such an inclusive alternative name.

12. SteveF

SteveF Veteran

Interesting one, lots of people don't use their birthnames so where would you draw the line? e.g.

Cassius Clay
    Rolihlahla Mandela
    ‎Leslie Lynch King jr
    William Jefferson Blythe III
    Steveland Hardaway Judkins
    Eric Arthur Blair

And many others..

13. SteveF

SteveF Veteran

As far as I'm aware he picked up the name from an old Luton Town football hooligan, classy....

14. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

Gideon Osborne to George Osborne. That’s a recent political example.

15. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

I understand your point but he's not a transperson, nor is he an actor / or convert to a new religion as in the case of Cassius Clay .

Unless actually, he is pretending, and underneath it all he is a decent human being and this is some elaborate double bluff, by the progressives, to sucker the alt right into supporting him.

He then at an agreed moment rips off his t shirt to reveal on his chest a 'peace, love, and planetary justice for all' tattoo..

And goes

"Ta da!! See you idiots I've been a nice person all this time.. But you fell for the knuckle headed Daily Failisms every time"

OK this is turning into some kind of personal "Fantasy Friday"..

Better get back to the carrot hoeing :angel:

AndyRM likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice