Pre-emptive bike service tomorrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mydodgyfeet

After buying my bike from Halfords in August (and then shamefully only going out on it last weekend for the second time:shy: ) I'm outside of their complementary check-up thingy. Ahead of a trip up North this weekend to avoid the OH's pals coming over, I'm taking it for a service and look-over at my LBS tomorrow. I realise it's a new bike and gears and things need some time to settle (? -the man in the bike shop told me this), what should I be mindful of so I don't get fleeced?

I'm still very new to all this and despite researching a lot in the last few weeks, I can't afford to be ripped off. The shop I'm taking it to are very reputable and recommended but I don't want the sharp intake of breath followed by "that's going to cost you" and me having no clue how to challenge the chap. I want to make sure the bike is set up right (the gears seem sticky and the brakes squeaky) before I try and do 40 miles in a day. To date I have done around 20 miles on it so it shouldn't be in bad nick.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If the gears are sticky it could mean new cables - shouldn't be, but if it's been sat in a damp shed without being used ?

They may adjust the headset if there is play. TBH there should be very little other than ensuring the gears index properly. Squeeky brakes - well you've not used it much and toe angle may be needed to be adjusted for rim brakes.

yello

I very much doubt anything will need changing given the bike's mileage. So you're probably just looking at a standard service charge. Did the LBS tell you in advance how much that'd be? Or is there a sign somewhere saying how much?

I've no idea what the hourly charge is these days so I wouldn't want to even begin to guess what the charge will be... but it will be more than a tenner! If the LBS comes recommended and you're a first time customer then I see no reason to believe you'll be ripped off.

Ivan Ardon

I see from other posts that you have an Apollo. They're OK bikes, and perfectly capable of being set up properly. I commuted on a new one (a CX10) for six months. However - Halfords seem to be unable to get them right.

Your LBS should be able to sort it out, although it probably won't be cheap - expect every bearing on the bike to need adjusting and possibly greasing, and the brakes sorting out.

Once I dismantled and re-assembled mine (and junked the poor tyres in favour of something better) it did the job I asked of it admirably.

OP
OP
mydodgyfeet

mydodgyfeet

Thank you, you're probably right. rather be safe than sorry, I suppose. Going rate is around £30 I believe but I should have asked (rookie error).

Hip Priest

Veteran
My road bike is from Halford's. Paid £37 to have it serviced and set-up properly by my LBS. Well worth it.

OP
OP
mydodgyfeet

mydodgyfeet

Thank you all for the responses. I paid £42 which included a postcode engraving thing and something to guard the gears should it fall over. Quite happy.Well, not entirely. Hotel is booked for Sat and now the weather is likely to be rain/sleet all weekend. :sad: When I was running, I'd just go out in it anyway but I'm not sure about on a pushbike.

Top Bottom