Press intrusion and public interest

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The Sun continues to scrape the barrel

The tragic tale has suddenly become a public interest story in the UK, because a man who wasnt even born at the time, just happens to be good at cricket.

I wont link to the story but here is the statement condemning it. How can the journalist sleep at night, door stepping parents for their comment.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/benstokes38/status/1173893834377441280

Last edited:

winjim

Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
Just to point out, I have read Stokes' statement and two different press stories covering it but this is the first time I've seen details of the incident. Do we really need them published here? The family in question would rather they remain private.

OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Just to point out, I have read Stokes' statement and two different press stories covering it but this is the first time I've seen details of the incident. Do we really need them published here? The family in question would rather they remain private.
I will edit it. i did keep it very brief and didnt link to the story.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Out of respect for Stokes, I won't be reading the article although I read his statement on the beeb earlier. I think that most of the time the 'public interest' card is waved too easily by the press (certainly the gutter press), but I do not want that card taken away and journalists prevented from doing real exposes.

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
They're not private, it's all in the public domain, albeit the stories back in the day were in the print media as the internet didn't exist, so outside of NZ the tale is (or now was) little known these days. Nevertheless, incredibly bad taste of the sun trying to drag up such painful events to sell papers simply because the guy is a well known sportsman.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
There isn't much point republishing this. No public interest.

The focus is naturally on his family, but it will affect non-blood relatives linked to the story who will likely have no support and just deal with it.

AuroraSaab

It's not uncommon for the press to threaten public figures with exposing a secret with the option of doing an exclusive interview to give their side or just letting the paper print what they want. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case with Stokes as it seems to have been with Gareth Thomas and his hiv status.

AndyRM

XOXO
There was a half decent discussion about ethics on 5 Live this morning about this.

The 'journalists' involved with both the Stokes and Thomas stories need to take a long, hard look at themselves.

Top Bottom