Preventing ice on the car windscreen - what really works?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm trying to avoid going through another winter having to scrape the car windows every morning so Mrs B can get off to work. Other than building a garage (not going to happen), or selling the car (I wish) here's what we have tried -

'Stop Ice' spray (supposed to prevent ice forming. Sprayed it on yesterday evening before bed: result - windows still iced up as bad as ever)
Using a car cover (result: works unless it's been raining, in which case - like today and quite often throughout the winter - you can't put it on as it sticks to the car when the rain freezes)
Blanket on the windscreen (result: blanket stuck to windscreen)

Using cardboard has been suggested, but if it rains, goes soggy, then freezes, I can see me scraping the frozen mess off next morning.

Anyone have any tried and tested preventatives?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
You don't need boiling water - indeed, best avoided since you might well crack the screen. But boil a third of a kettle, top it up from the cold tap to give you something not far off blood temperature, then gently pour across the top of the screen and all the ice just melts away.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Stuff like that is bad for rubber....

To make scraping fairly easy, rain-x or similar (eg Halfords) on side and rear screens is good - don't use rain x on windscreens (what it's designed for) as it leaves a streaky mess when wiping in the rain - certainly not good - but it works well on side windows and rear screens - i.e. water is repelled so runs off as soon as the car moves.... and it stops ice sticking as much.

But, good old luke warm water works well - not hot....... melts the ice, and warms the screen slightly so it doesn't fog when you switch on the heating...note not HOT as this 'could' crack the glass...

I still scrape the car, and give it a quick warm up as I stand in the kitchen eating breakkie......just before I jump on the garaged bike....heh...heh...

OP
OP
beanzontoast
fossyant said:
Stuff like that is bad for rubber....

To make scraping fairly easy, rain-x or similar (eg Halfords) on side and rear screens is good - don't use rain x on windscreens (what it's designed for) as it leaves a streaky mess when wiping in the rain - certainly not good - but it works well on side windows and rear screens - i.e. water is repelled so runs off as soon as the car moves.... and it stops ice sticking as much.

But, good old luke warm water works well - not hot....... melts the ice, and warms the screen slightly so it doesn't fog when you switch on the heating...note not HOT as this 'could' crack the glass...

I still scrape the car, and give it a quick warm up as I stand in the kitchen eating breakkie......just before I jump on the garaged bike....heh...heh...

Substitute 'shedded bike' for 'garaged bike' and that could be me! :biggrin:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've heard that 'warming up' a car is a hangover from the old days, and with modern cars can actually do more harm than good. Could be rubbish of course...

I use a rubber door mat.

The sort that have upward little spikes on it with a flat solid base - think it came from B&Q for about £5.

Put it on the screen upside down so only the spikes touch and the bottom forms a rainproof layer.

It is heavy enough to stay on in most wind and rain mostly runs off rather than getting behind it.

It pulls off OK even if there is a bit of Ice around the edge leaving a clean screen.

Leave it on while you start the car for a minute as the screen can freeze when you take it off on very cold days.

Not needed it yet this winter here in the south.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Over The Hill said:
I use a rubber door mat.

The sort that have upward little spikes on it with a flat solid base - think it came from B&Q for about £5.

Put it on the screen upside down so only the spikes touch and the bottom forms a rainproof layer.

It is heavy enough to stay on in most wind and rain mostly runs off rather than getting behind it.

It pulls off OK even if there is a bit of Ice around the edge leaving a clean screen.

Leave it on while you start the car for a minute as the screen can freeze when you take it off on very cold days.

Not needed it yet this winter here in the south.

If it really works that well, I'll have to try this. Can always replace an old doormat with it if it fails!

Top Bottom