Priamry v Secondary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having reviewed my day one footage on the new cam I found myself riding in Secondary and then Primary position along the same stretch of road on the same evening – the results are not surprising, but for all those who say bikes should “get out of the middle of the road” and stick close to the kerb, here’s my evidence of why I’d rather not….

Here’s my video (number two for those who are counting)…

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GC9Amu4Ld4

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Compare 0:40 and 1:14. You're clearly cycling in the same place in both frames.

domtyler

Über Member
Good video and nice soundtrack too! :biggrin:

I'll have to book mark that one to point out to the next person who tells me that cycling in primary is 'selfish'! :biggrin:

OP
OP
TwickenhamCyclist
srw said:
Compare 0:40 and 1:14. You're clearly cycling in the same place in both frames.

Well spotted – they are the same clip! :biggrin:

the clip at 0:40 was just after I pulled away from a set of lights – the silver car was very close behind me and I could sense he was going to chance it – I wasn’t quite as far out from the kerb as I’d have liked and I didn’t feel safe moving out – the camera might not illustrate it that well but he was just a couple of inches off the handle bars – as soon as he passed I move out more – the clip at 1:14 is a continuation of the same bit of footage – the silver car is now in front and I think I’m in a better position – the following cars certainly give me more space.

Cab

Its a fairly clear demonstration, nice one!

I think that while the modal overtaking distance between primary and secondary is, on many roads, similar. But thats not the worry, the worry is the frequency of close overtakes, which is where assertive cycling wins out; you've got less really close overtakes, and when it does happen you can turn it into a safer manoever because you've got an escape route.

OP
OP
TwickenhamCyclist
nilling said:
What's the soundtrack? Zappa? :biggrin:

Spot on…It’s the title track from Zoot Allures.

according to Wikipedia:

“The title is a pun on the French expression "Zut alors!" which, though it has no direct translation, conveys mild surprise and may be approximated by "Damn it!" or the British use of "Blimey!"”

seemed appropriate

nilling

Über Member
Not that your avatar wasn't a clue lol :biggrin:

An excellent video clip.

Just showed it to friends at work, got an interesting debate going...

I know its probably not the right thread, but if I was to ask the wife to buy me a cycle cam for my upcoming birthday, what would be best model to get?

Adrian

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Excellent clip, on multi lane roads like that primary is the only way, cars have no choice but to treat you as a vehicle as to do otherwise would put them at risk, which they won't do.

I ride around a 3 lane ring road, when i first started i used to adopt a 'weak primary', worst possible thing, as drivers don't know what to do one way or the other.

nice one.

OP
OP
TwickenhamCyclist
upsidedown said:
Excellent clip, on multi lane roads like that primary is the only way, cars have no choice but to treat you as a vehicle as to do otherwise would put them at risk, which they won't do.

I ride around a 3 lane ring road, when i first started i used to adopt a 'weak primary', worst possible thing, as drivers don't know what to do one way or the other.

nice one.

Thanks – like the term “weak primary” – I know exactly what you mean…

Top Bottom