Primary or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
This section of road has been annoying me for a while now. Whenever I go through it in secondary, I always get passed closely by everyone.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...=7LjeE4sRaP4Evlo_adewTw&cbp=12,328.56,,0,5.92
On the left, there is now pavement where the red area is.

My problem is that if I remain in secondary, I will keep getting close passes as everyone seems to want to squeeze past. But if I move into primary then people will be up my butt, trying to get past.

I know that if I am in primary, it is up to the people behind me to get annoyed, but I will be in primary for a long time as it is a long, narrow section of road. It is also uphill so I won't be going my fastest.

This is a real problem and recently I was nearly knocked off by someone taking a chance here.

Is that the cycle lane with all the cars parked in it?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Best thing to do is find a more suitable route that is pleasant for you :smile: and doesn't impede others too much, we all have to share the road :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I know the road ! - When did the wide pavements come in. TBH I'd ride secondary - close passes don't really bother me much as I do lots of urban commuting - close enough to touch the car is too close though.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I might think about changing my route. The reason I do this road is that it is the most direct and means I dont have to negotiate junctions, I can keep a high average.

As it is getting near to summer (well sort of), I am going to start riding along the coast on the 30 mile trip to Llandudno soon. That will cut out all of the road travelling as it is along the coastal path all the way.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
There seems to be a suitable road parallel - it's probably worth avoiding the most dangerous bits if they're concerning you.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I've got a similar sitatuon on my commute. Very narrow road, with the opposite carriageway full of queuing traffic. I either got very close passes, or I created a queue. I found another route eventually. I know we shouldn't allow ourselves to be forced out, but I just want to enjoy my cycling.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
There seems to be a suitable road parallel - it's probably worth avoiding the most dangerous bits if they're concerning you.

Yes I'd have thought Ffordd Derwen then Kingsley Ave might be a viable alternative. Obviously I don't know your route Matt but would the two Sustrans routes be possibilities along both banks of the River Clwyd? If I was coming from say Rhuddlan to Rhyl town centre, I'd probably opt for the traffic free route alomg the E. bank of the River. (Looks good from the O.S. map anyway!)

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Yes I'd have thought Ffordd Derwen then Kingsley Ave might be a viable alternative. Obviously I don't know your route Matt but would the two Sustrans routes be possibilities along both banks of the River Clwyd? If I was coming from say Rhuddlan to Rhyl town centre, I'd probably opt for the traffic free route alomg the E. bank of the River. (Looks good from the O.S. map anyway!)
The river route is the one I take to Rhuddlan, I then use the roads back into rhyl because it has more hills in it.

I think that as long as I am more aware of my surroundings and try to tackle this bit of road differently, then I should be alright.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
I know the road ! - When did the wide pavements come in. TBH I'd ride secondary - close passes don't really bother me much as I do lots of urban commuting - close enough to touch the car is too close though.
Blimey, that would probably make about 25% of the passes I experience too close!

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I use this road nearly every day in the car with my pupils. TBH if I was on a bike, I don't think it would bother me as this road is quite wide with a dividing red band in the middle.

Top Bottom