prize winning poem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamesAC

Our local council distributes a magazine every couple of weeks. Mostly it tells us what a wonderful job the mayor and council are doing, and so on. It includes a "Kids' Corner", where there are little features for children. Including a poetry competition. This weeks' prize winning entry is:

Sitting on the carpet
Listening to the teacher
I feel a tickle on my nose
I think it is a booga.

Shall I pick it, lick it,
roll it and flick it,
Or shall I leave it alone?
I look around to see
who’s watching,
“Miss!” A child calls

It’s not me
he’s seen
He just needs to pee.
I carry on and
raise my finger,
I’m nearly halfway there.

“Oh my God!”
A child yells.
“What’s that
awful smell?”

I’m worried but
it’s not me,
Someone’s done a
blower.

Everyone is fussing
This is my chance.
I hold the booga and
pull it out.
I lick it, roll it and
finally flick it.

Oh no, oh dear
It’s landed on my
teacher’s chair.

Now, I thought this was a pretty poor choice, on account of its having very little literary merit, and an emphasis on lavatorial humour. So I emailed the editor of the mag:

I'm writing to express my dismay over the “poem” published in the Kids' Corner in issue 183 of The ******** Mag. For many years ******** has suffered the reputation for having some the worst schools in the country. For as many years generations of dedicated teachers and supportive parents have worked hard to lift the hopes, ideals and aspirations of ********'s young people. In the context of 2012, we are urged to “go for gold”. Gold was not the colour that sprang to mind when I read this particular contribution to the Mag. Young people will only fulfil their potential and make something of their lives if they are challenged and stretched. I would have hoped that The ******** Mag would reward real effort and real achievement. It seems that children are being encouraged to think that work of little merit and dubious content is to be lauded. I hope that the editors of The Mag will be more careful in their choice of exemplars in the future.

To my astonishment, I got a prompt reply:

Dear JamesAC,

Thank you for your email. I'm sorry that you were offended by the content of the Kids' Corner pages in issue 183.

We however felt that the poem did show merit, as well as creativity and personality. Its use of humour, structure and rhythm were more sophisticated than most of the other entries that we receive. Of course, the page and its contents are intended to be lighthearted and entertaining to its target group, the under-11s, not to adults. We hope in some small way to inspire more interest in creative writing in this age group by the inclusion of funny poems, as well as the more earnest submissions that we receive.

Again, we apologise for any offence caused and hope that you continue to read the Newham Mag.

What really worries me is that " ... the poem did show merit ... Its use of humour, structure and rhythm were more sophisticated than most of the other entries that we receive.." In other words, this was the best poem that local children were able to come up with.

Is there any hope?
Do you think the poem "shows merit"?

Answers, please, in rhyming couplets.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
User76 said:
In Newham the kids are scummy
All bogeys drink and crack
In Newham the mums are yummy
And fuckin dirty in the sack

True literary merit there, subtle yet powerful.

OP
OP
J

JamesAC

User76 said:
Why have you asterisked out the word NEWHAM in your letter, then included it in the reply? Was Newham not meant to be included?

In Newham the kids are scummy
All bogeys drink and crack
In Newham the mums are yummy
And fuckin dirty in the sack

Post it in, see if it gets printed on the parents page of the Newham Mag.
O**ps!

An old pig in Newham.
A rasher poem
would seem like spam,
before the oink has
dried on the page.

Beef it up and
Holy Cow!
There's a lot at steak -
it's a pentameter wide
How?

And it makes me sick
my pen that wrote
these words worth note.
It speaks
"I am Bic"

Wayne Scroggins Age 5 and 3/4 :biggrin:

Night night - it's tablet time...

Crankarm

Guru
If anything the poem should not have been chosen on grounds of public hygiene. A particularly vile habit picking one's nose and flicking it here there and everywhere :biggrin:.

Bandini

JamesAC said:
What really worries me is that " ... the poem did show merit ... Its use of humour, structure and rhythm were more sophisticated than most of the other entries that we receive.." In other words, this was the best poem that local children were able to come up with.

Is there any hope?
Do you think the poem "shows merit"?

Answers, please, in rhyming couplets.

Ha ha ha! What really, really worries me (well not really, I LOVE it!) is that you wrote in to complain about a (shoot) kids poem! And appear to think that it is representative in some way of education. Ha Ha ha! What kind of people send poems, or letters, to council magazines? That's right. And it ain't poets.

And your answer can be in free verse.

Crankarm said:
If anything the poem should not have been chosen on grounds of public hygiene. A particularly vile habit picking one's nose and flicking it here there and everywhere :ohmy:.

Nonsense. It all helps to build up your immune system when you're that age. :biggrin: Besides, it's only a kid's poem. Personally, I can't help feeling that JamesAC is expecting a little too much from the children of his parish; I think it's rather good.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Everybody's doin' it, doin' it, doin' it,
Pickin' their nose and chewin' it, chewin' it, chewin' it.

Do I win £5?

OP
OP
J

JamesAC

<sigh>
The reason I queried the poem with the editor was because for many years the borough in which I live has counted its schools amongst the lowest achieving in the country. The magazine is distributed will-nilly to every household in the borough, giving every child in the borough (the ones who can read, any way) the impression that stuff of that quality is laudable. According to the editor, that particular poem was the best of the bunch. There is no hope.
<sigh/>

Top Bottom