Probike Discovery?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thelma

Ok I'm sorry, I'm new and I'm going to ask an inevitable question, even after reading the newbie sticky. Sorry.

I *think* I want this bike: http://www.probikecycles.com/700CHybridDetailpage.aspx?Bikeid=4

I want to be able to ride on roads, but also tow and cycle paths. I live in a fairly flat part of Manchester and do not anticipate ever trying to climb mountains in anything other than a lift. I don't want anything heavy or chunky, but neither do I want 3894579 gears, drop handles or a shopping basket. I *think* this seems like a reasonable bike to do what I want, but I'd really appreciate some reassurance or a nudge in the right direction.

I don't really want to spend a lot of money either. This one will be around £150 at my LBS (I'm learning the lingo!) which is about as much as I want to part with. In all honesty I have a history of starting exercise-y things and losing interest (Davina DVDs, a yoga mat, a Wii fit), but I really do need to address my fitness and overall health.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
why not buy a second hand similar bike for £50 or so out of the papers and ride b4 you part with cash, when buying anything be sure! unles moneys know object, when you buy a new bike up to 30% of its woth disapears because it becomes second hand, more with lower spec bicycles, but do what you want, but be sure

OP
OP
Thelma

Thelma

why not buy a second hand similar bike for £50 or so out of the papers and ride b4 you part with cash, when buying anything be sure! unles moneys know object, when you buy a new bike up to 30% of its woth disapears because it becomes second hand, more with lower spec bicycles, but do what you want, but be sure

Second hand does make sense, but I have no idea where to start. The shops I've been to (and I've been to a few) range from snotty to dubious and finally to lovely, but none of them have much (or anything in some cases) in the way of second hand bikes. What they get comes in and goes very quickly. I'm very cautious of getting one from freecycle or the paper because I'd probably end up with something with square wheels or likely to collapse on me. I also want to strike while the iron's hot.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Looks to me as if one of those could put you off cycling for life. It will be likely either horribly heavy or handle like a wayward mule, or both. In short it is a BSO (another useful acronym for you !) a "Bike Shaped Object" - and an expensive one at that.

If your budget will stretch to it look for a base model from one of the better known brands.

Maybe something like a Giant Escape 4 (probably called something different in 2011 models) - which I discovered last year to be, for the price, an extraordinarily light, speedy and capable machine....when one of my daughter's friends (age 13) rode one from John o'Groats to Land's End.

If you don't carry on with it... it will at least be saleable (ask at least 50% of new price after a year) where a BSO will only be fit for the dump.

Hello Thelma, I sort of agree with Steve here... I just did a quick look for something and there are many bargains. I did originally look at Boardman Fi bikes (women specific) but I don't know enough about them and they are higher priced items! :rolleyes:
At this point, I think it would be handy for 'direct' woman to woman advice - a 'Woman Specific Section' perhaps? (Hello Shaun :biggrin:) that would advise people like yourself on comfort and other issues and experiences.

Whatever, the weather is geting a little more even, the Friday Night peloton will be heading out from Manchester on 15th April at midnight - come along and provide lots of food and drink cheer us on to Blackpool from The Town Hall! :smile:

(Bring baby Thema too! :smile: )

OP
OP
Thelma

Thelma

Hello Thelma, I sort of agree with Steve here... I just did a quick look for something and there are many bargains. I did originally look at Boardman Fi bikes (women specific) but I don't know enough about them and they are higher priced items! :rolleyes:
At this point, I think it would be handy for 'direct' woman to woman advice - a 'Woman Specific Section' perhaps? (Hello Shaun :biggrin:) that would advise people like yourself on comfort and other issues and experiences.

Whatever, the weather is geting a little more even, the Friday Night peloton will be heading out from Manchester on 15th April at midnight - come along and provide lots of food and drink cheer us on to Blackpool from The Town Hall! :smile:

(Bring baby Thema too! :smile: )

I'm sure I could work out some kind of cake (or flapjacks for their slow release energy) for advice swap!

What is the difference with women's frames? I get the "skirt" idea with the frame shape, but I haven't seen a woman cycling in a skirt anywhere except in period dramas on television.

It doesn't help that I don't actually know what I'm looking for. It's like going to the shops for shoes - the choices are endless if you haven't got a clue what kind of shoes you're after. I know what I want to do, but that's as far as I can get.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Seems ok, it is a sort of compromise, a full on road bike would be impractical for popping down to the shops, going for a ride with the family etc, a mountain bike is ok but at your price point would be heavy and demoralising when cycling on the road so this sort of hybrid is between the two. It would be worth your while going to the store just off the M60 at Stockport seeing one in the flesh and having a chat with the guys in cycles. They are always helpful and will give you advice, you can even test ride the bikes around the store.

OP
OP
Thelma

Thelma

Seems ok, it is a sort of compromise, a full on road bike would be impractical for popping down to the shops, going for a ride with the family etc, a mountain bike is ok but at your price point would be heavy and demoralising when cycling on the road so this sort of hybrid is between the two. It would be worth your while going to the store just off the M60 at Stockport seeing one in the flesh and having a chat with the guys in cycles. They are always helpful and will give you advice, you can even test ride the bikes around the store.

I completely forgot about Decathlon when touring shops last weekend. I'll check them out tomorrow. Thanks!

Oh, is it The Done Thing to be able to get on and have a test ride?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
They seem ok with it where a lot of other shops won't. It will give you an idea of the weight of the bike and if you are ok with the general riding position. They will set up things like correct saddle height etc for you.

DTD

Veteran
What is the difference with women's frames? I get the "skirt" idea with the frame shape, but I haven't seen a woman cycling in a skirt anywhere except in period dramas on television.

Decathlon is worth a look.

My partner is only an inch or two shorter than me, but my bikes really don't fit her – women tend to have longer legs and shorter arms, so women specific bikes are sometimes a bit less stretched out. Saddles are sometimes different shaped too.

Most of it boils down to if a particular bike fits you, remember to get the shop to alter the saddle height for you as this makes a massive difference to how hard it is on your knees – riding a bike shouldn't be painful.

OP
OP
Thelma

Thelma

You're all so very helpful. Thank you!

It's a glorious day here in South Manchester, so I'm itching to get a bike and get on it.

OP
OP
Thelma

Thelma

I got a bike! OH has gone to fetch it in the bigger car for me. I'm really looking forward to popping out on it when he gets home. Shame the sun has gone in though.

Decathlon were really helpful: thanks for the suggestion.

It's a B*TWIN 5.

Top Bottom